Chapter 15 • Mayor Finch

"You can't be serious, Aya," Garrison said as they walked up the hill towards the mayor's house.

   "Look, Atticus is doing everything he can to save Geralt. The least we can do is sneak into the mayor's house and get his wife's ashes back," Anaya said.

   "This man could be dangerous. We don't know what we're getting ourselves into here."

   "I didn't ask you to come. If you want to go back then be my guest, but I'm going through with this," Anaya said just as the gates to the mayor's house came into view.

   "Alright, but how are you going to go through that?" Garrison said, looking at the two guards stationed outside the gate. They stood tall and proud, watching the surrounding area like hawks for any lurking intruders.

   "I'm not sure. Maybe there's a back entrance?" Anaya said.

   "See, you don't even have a plan. Let's go back and think about this before you do something stupid."

   "No, I'm getting the ashes!" 

   "Hey!" One of the guards shouted, causing both Garrison and Anaya to freeze. He'd spotted her, his eyes were looking at her. "Come here!" 

   "Ah, now we're fucked," Garrison sighed. Anaya watched as one of the guards readied his weapon and began walking towards them. She could run back to the village, but that would ruin their chances of ever getting into the house. Their cover was already blown. She was just glad she had Geralt's dagger tucked away in her corset for protection if she needed it.

   "Alright," Anaya sighed, looking towards Garrison. "I would never ever ask you to do this in any other circumstance, but I need you to get under my skirt."

   Garrison looked at her blankly. "You know what, I don't even need an explanation," he said and rushed under her skirt. 

   "Don't you dare try anything or I'll sit on you," she said, her cheeks igniting like fire. She just hoped her dress was puffy enough to hide the dwarf hiding in her skirt. 

   When the guard arrived, he didn't seem to notice the dwarf hiding underneath her dress so she took that as a good sign. 

   "You're early," said the guard.

   "I am?" Anaya questioned. 

   "You were supposed to arrive this evening, but I guess Master Finch won't mind getting started now. Lord knows that man can keep at it all night." 

   Anaya furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. What did he mean by keep at it all night

   "Right, um, I apologize," Anaya said. 

   "Follow me," the guard said, turning his back to her to lead her inside the house. 

   "Oh, that's right! Time to walk! Walk! Walk! Walk!" she said, hoping Garrison would get the message. He gave her a gentle tap on the leg to let her know he had. So, she walked forwards, uncomfortably and very stiff as Garrison walked with her underneath her dress. 

   "Are you slow or something?" The guard asked, giving her a strange look. 

   "No," she answered. 

   "Whatever," he sighed, turning to look forward again. "You're much more clothed than the other ones and much older, not as pretty either." 

   "Well then," Anaya huffed. "It's a good thing I'm not here for you."

   "You're not my type anyway," the guard shrugged. 

   He led her into the house and to a dining room where he instructed her to wait for the mayor. Before he left, he made sure to close the door and lock it. Right when they heard the lock click, Garrison rushed out from under her dress.