Beta! Chiaki Nanami: Down The Rabbit Hole

It was the worst feeling to have, hands down. She couldn't explain why she felt it, but it lingered and grew as time went on.

Despair.

She couldn't help but wonder if there was something was missing...or maybe has begun.
————————————————————————

It started a month ago when she was watching TV. A news report about a missing student: Kaede Akumastu. She was known as the Ultimate Pianist and one of the sixteen students who entered into the Future Foundation's protection program.

"Why would they protect someone like that?" Her friend, Kishiko, asked as she sipped her tea. "I mean...does the world need any more pianists?"

In truth, she wasn't as high profile as Rantaro Amami, who vanished from his home a year prior. None of them had any connections to each other besides the Future Foundation.

"I would doubt Makoto would know anything." Chiaki said with a sigh. "Besides...it isn't our problem, anyway."

"Yeah, but it is Nagito's now." Kishiko added. "Hajime said he had just joined a couple months ago right?"

Chiaki nodded silently. It wasn't easy for anyone to accept his decision. He had came out of treatment a completely different person, but reassured everyone he was okay. He did have his quirks like calling everyone by their last name, but something just felt off.

"You know...I have been thinking..." Kishiko sighed. "I am just gonna drop my talent entirely."

"What?" Chiaki gasped as she turned to her friend. "Why? You have such a beautiful talent."

"No, I don't." She replied. "There are students whose talents have meaning. What exactly does being a 'mermaid' or 'aquatic performer' have any weight today?" She wrapped her arms around herself. "After the Tragedy happened and my killing game overseas...I started thinking about my own future. My sister has a talent that gives people a voice, but I am just a replaceable talent. Anyone could do it."

"Kishiko..." Chiaki tried to reassure her, but there was some truth to what she was saying. How can someone continue to play along with Hope Peak's standards after what had happened?

"Never mind." Kishiko shook her head. "I am probably just tired." She yawned before turning in for the night. Chiaki just watched before calling Hajime, her boyfriend.

"Hi, kitten." His soft voice answered after two rings. "What's the matter?"

She wanted to say, 'Everything. First Nagito, now Kishiko. I feel like something bad is going to happen.' However, she ended up with, "I'm okay...I just miss you."

He laughed. "I miss you too, but I know better." He didn't want to come off as arrogant, but he knew that she wasn't happy. "Is this have to do with Nagito?"

"Partially." She replied as she laid down on the couch. "Did you see the news about the missing girl?"

"Yeah, I did...Nagito and I talked about it since the Future Foundation is currently looking into it. Apparently, we have no records of them being entered into Hope's Peak despite their talents." Hajime sighed. "Honestly, Naegi is already planning some sort of assault."

Chiaki gasped. "Why? Where does he think he is going?"

"Some place called 'The Ultimate Academy For Juvenile Delinquents'. However, despite the name, none of the students have a criminal record."

She didn't know what to think. As much as she hated the idea of another killing game after Junko's death, the possibility was out there.

"Actually, he was hoping you and Kishiko can come to the briefing." Hajime asked, breaking her train of thought...before it was derailed.

"Why does the foundation want Kishiko? She wasn't even in the country when the Tragedy happened?" Chiaki snipped back.

"They wouldn't say, though I would assume it has to do with one of the missing students."

"Which one?"

Hajime remained silent for a moment. "I'll call you when we are ready to pick you guys up." Then he hung up, leaving Chiaki speechless.

It was that moment she realized...she wasn't out of the game, but falling deeper into the rabbit hole...and there was no guarantees of getting out alive this time.
————————————————————————
To Be Continued...

A/N: Happy 2020! I consider this to be a bit of a prelude to...Danganronpa: Beta Aftermath! Yep, Beta Memories is getting a sequel! I have already planned out the deaths as we follow our protagonists through what is considered to be the most despair inducing killing game yet! 😈

Also, keep an eye out for more oneshots here! Requests are always available so please don't be scared to message me! I am have some in progress right now, but I do hope you are ready!

Luna