Arc 1.10

No one spoke a single word, fearing that they may become the unlucky person who'd be chosen as the first to take this insane test.

"Aww, come on! No one?"

Once again, total silence reigned over.

"Fine! Then that just means I'll get to choose first!"

Everyone gulped and prayed that their luck would not let them down at this crucial moment.

"Let's see... Aha! How about the fox over there?", she said as she pointed at Chu Qiu.

...

Fox?

The ones that weren't in the know were all confused as to why their Senior Brother Chu would be called a fox. I mean, Senior Brother can be very sly at times, but that's not a good enough reason to be tagged as a fox.

"Hmm? Judging from your expressions, none of you know that this young lad here is actually a Nine Tailed Fox?"

Ahh, so that's it! He's a Nine Tailed Fox...

Wait..

Nine Tailed Fox..?

Realization struck them as they all looked towards Chu Qiu, wide eyed with surprise and perhaps a bit of horror.

Chu Qiu, the person in question just shrugged it off as if the one she was talking about isn't him.

It wasn't something that needed to be hidden in the first place, so why should he be bothered about it? The only reason he never told anyone about it is because it'd inconvenience his lord. 

If there were going to be hunters going after him for his valuable body-- wait, that sounds wrong... If there were going to be hunters going after him for the rare materials that his body can be made into, then so be it. Laozi isn't scared of anyone!

He even tried to show off the fact that he was from such a noble bloodline by revealing his ears and tails, which confirmed everyone's suspicions.

Meanwhile, Zero, who was at the side, just facepalmed. What are you even proud of? The fact that you just got your ass exposed? Why does he even know this lunatic...

The eyes which everyone made when they looked towards Chu Qiu was like they were gazing at a whole other person than the one they've known for all these years. It contained wariness and distrust as everyone was on guard against this "creature".

Once again, everyone who already knew the truth beforehand just sighed when they saw how cruel a human's heart can be. Yes, it's not a hundred percent their fault, as anyone would be quite wary of someone whom they were they close to, but had lied to them all this time. However, they should know that if he wanted to, Chu Qiu definitely had a sufficient amount of power to completely destroy them within seconds. But he didn't. He had so many years to do so, but he never even tried to hurt them.

Sadly, many people judge based on their knowledge and impression of certain things. Nine Tailed Foxes, while quite rare, are also a very crafty and dangerous species that not only have nine lives, but also wields one of the strongest fires in this world, immortal fox fire, only second to the sacred phoenix fire. But phoenixes went "extinct" ages ago, so Nine Tailed Foxes can be considered to hold the strongest fire in the current era.

By the time they got over their shock, Chu Qiu was already done creating his defense talisman and had beads of sweat dripping down his face due to both fear and fatigue.

"Oho? Little foxy, are you ready?"

He took a deep breath and determination flashed in his eyes as he confirmed, "Yes"