chapter 1

edit feb 19 22: this is genuinely so bad im crying pls ignore how bad this is

"Y/N?"

A static voice came from the walkie talkie I had on the nightstand. I lay in bed, staring at the wall. I hadn't moved from this position in hours, and didn't really plan on it, either.

"Y/N...?" The voice dragged on at the end in a teasing manner. Sighing, I leaned over to steal a quick glance at the object, before turning back over onto my side. I loved larry to death, and he's always been there for me, but the last thing I wanted to do was get out of bed.

"Y/N, if you don't pick up I swear-"

I lazily moved my hand to grab the walkie talkie, pressing the button and whining into the speaker. "Whaaaat? I'm busy..."

"Bullshit! The new tenants moved in today and I want you to meet one of them. He's down here with me," He said, not bothering to hide the excitement in his voice.

I rubbed my eyes, groaning. So those must have been the loud bangs I heard earlier. I let my eyes fall on the clock on top of my dresser. 4:16 pm.

"Fine. Gimme a couple of minutes."

I let go of the button and turned off my TV. Even though I hadn't been watching it, the background noise kept me at ease. I threw on an outfit and stared at myself in the mirror, messing with my hair a bit.

"No one I'm trying to impress anyway..." I muttered.

I grabbed my bag and phone, petting my cat before heading out the door. I turned my head to look at 402. I lived in 404, so the new guys were just right down the hall from me. I saw a blue haired man hauling the last couple of boxes from outside of the door into the apartment. Blue hair wasn't something you see everyday, and I think he caught me staring as I walked past him to the elevator.

I quickly averted my gaze and pressed the 'down' button, before walking in. I slipped my keycard into the basement slot, trying to recover from my previous embarrassment. Before I knew it the elevator doors were opening, and I was making my way towards my best friend's apartment. I hadn't been here in about a week, being too lazy to drag my ass out of bed. I couldn't tell if i was thrilled to meet the new boy or not, but I was definitely looking forward to seeing larry again, even if I had doubts about leaving my room earlier.

I opened the door, smiling at Lisa and then barging right into larry's room.

"Yo! Y/N, dude! I missed you!" Larry greeted.

I didn't respond, my attention had been stolen by the blue haired boy that was standing right next to him. He wore a black sweater, red ripped jeans, blue converse, and had his hair in cute little pigtails.

Although his style was definitely unique, the one thing that caught my attention the most was the mask he wore on his face.

Larry was quick to catch onto my staring, and he walked over to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"That's Sal, or Sally Face," He then leaned in, and whispered so quietly I was barely able to make out what he said. "It's a prosthetic."

My eyes widened shock, but I quickly concealed it with a smile. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about it, but the last thing I wanted to do was make him uncomfortable by pestering him with a bunch of questions.

"Haha, it's a prosthetic. Sorry if I, uh... creeped you out or anything." He said, looking away from us in what was probably embarrassment.

I let out a small laugh, reaching my arms up to stretch them.

"Nah dude, you're fine. I wasn't staring cause I thought it was weird. I think you look badass." I gave him a small thumbs up to confirm my statement.

He snapped his head back towards my direction, and I was able to catch the tips of his ears glowing a soft shade of red. His big blue eyes squinted through the holes in his prosthetic, and I could only guess he was smiling, so I smiled back.

I heard larry whine beside me, most likely from lack of attention. I snorted and turned towards him, an amused glint in my eyes.

"You done, Larbear?"

"Oh, shut up. Let's play a game or something. You haven't left that room of yours in forever." He kept his arm around me as we went over to pick up the controllers. A game was already on the screen, and in big lettering read 'DEFEATED' on the side Larry chose to sit on.

"Pfft! Did Sal beat you?" I punched larry's shoulder, smirking up at him. "Thought you were supposed to be "The Reigning Champ?""

He rolled his eyes, taking out the game and putting in a new one. I looked back to see sal fidgeting with his sleeves, as if debating whether to sit with us or not.

"Sally, you can come down, you know." I patted the beanbag next to me, smiling at him. That seemed to put him at ease, and he slowly made his way down and took the seat beside me.

We played for a while, and Sal beat us each and every time. I sucked at this game and wanted to change it, but Larry insisted we kept going because he was determined to beat sal. I leaned back in my beanbag, frowning.

"Larry, it's never gonna happen."

"You'll see, Y/N. Watch me!" He said a little too loudly, his tongue poking the corner of his mouth.

Sal chuckled, before finishing off Larry's character swiftly. The boy threw himself backwards, sighing.

"I think I'm done." He mumbled sadly.

Sal gently placed his controller down and sinked back into the beanbag. "I have to go back and help my dad finish unpacking." He said, standing up to rub the back of his neck. I patted Larry on the head, before doing the same.

"You're from 402, right? I'm 404, we could catch a ride up together. I feel like I'm gonna pass out, honestly."

Sal's eyes darted around the room, before he nodded and made his way over to the door quickly, holding it open for me.

Larry looked over at sal and smirked. Getting up, he ran his fingers through his long dark hair.

"Y/N, if you don't start coming out of your room, I'll break your door down and drag your ass outta bed myself! I'm tired of being lonely." He pouted, and i could only laugh.

"You have todd, and now you have Sal. You'll survive."

I paused for a second. Today was fun, a lot better than sulking at a wall, admittedly. Plus, Sal was really cool, and I should probably get to know him before I stick myself back into my hole.

"But, sure. I'll try and be around more." I threw a wink his way and he did the same back at me, clicking his tongue.

I walked out of the door, waving to Lisa as Sal and I left the apartment.

"So, why did Larry call you Sally Face?"

Sal clicked the 'up' button outside of the elevator, hesitating for a moment, before letting out a small laugh.

"Just some assholes back in Jersey. I owned up to the name to show that they couldn't hurt me with it anymore."

He shrugged it off and the elevator door opened. We both walked in, and now it was my turn to press the button. I pressed '4' and the ride was quiet for a couple of seconds before I spoke.

"Ah." I stared straight ahead. "Did it work?"

He looked right into my eyes, his hair was slightly messy. Even though his pigtails were a little feminine, his voice was extremely deep and kind of rough, but it was still soothing. The elevator doors opened, but we stayed in.

I saw his eyes do the squinty thing again. He was smiling.

"Yeah."

//went back and edited this pos lol