chapter 16

"today felt way longer than it actually was."

"yeah, i thought that, too."

i opened the door to my apartment, sal following close behind me. i saw mom on the couch, and she smiled when she laid her eyes on me. "hey, hun-" she paused when she saw sal come up from behind me, but soon a smirk showed on her lips. "ohhh, i see..."

sal gave her a wave and my face flushed. "oh my god, mom, no." i said, frowning. "i've never made jokes when your boyfriend comes over." i crossed my arms.

"boyfriend?" both sal and mom asked, but mom still had a sly smirk on her face. "no! that's not what i meant-" she cut me off. "i'll let you two be alone. i was going out soon, anyway."

a playful grin came to my face. "with mike...?" i teased. she rolled her eyes and sent us off with a wave of her hand. i laughed and grabbed sal's hand, taking him to my room.

"haha, sorry about her..." i said, shutting my door behind us as we walked in. he just shook his head and chuckled, setting his bag down. "it's fine. i thought it was funny." he said. i smiled, plopping onto my bed. i stretched my arms and legs, letting out a sigh as my arm cracked.

sal cringed. "good lord, you're always cracking your bones." he sat down next to me, taking his pigtails out of his hair. i pouted at him. "it's not my fault i have the body of an old man."

"you don't have the body of an old man, y/n." he rolled his eye, brushing through his strands with his fingers. i giggled and wrapped my arms around him, and he laid his head on my chest, closing his eyes.

suddenly, i heard a loud ringing echo through my ears. i let go of sal and covered my ears as my vision went blurry. the last thing i saw was sal staring up at me, a shocked look in his eyes.

"y/n?"

i blinked a couple of times and found myself in that white void from a couple of months ago. i groaned to myself; i was starting to get sick of these damn visions.

the same phantom appeared abruptly, and i nearly jumped when i saw it. "hello?" i called out, hoping to get an answer this time.

of course, that wasn't going to happen.

".y/n m-h-v-s-a-o-y .-o-d-o- i -a-w-e-r-f-o-o-" it's voice boomed, but i didn't understand a word of it.

"y-you're breaking up..." i stammered out, gulping as i stared at it. the ringing went through my ears again, and i gritted my teeth.

the high pitched sound stopped and i opened my eyes, only to be met with sal's big blue hues gazing back into mine with concern.

"shit... is it over?" i mumbled, looking around as i uncovered my ears. "did it happen again?" sal asked, sighing. i nodded my head, and he shook his. "this is getting weird..." he said, looking off to the side.

"and it hasn't been already?" i joked, kissing the top of his head. his ears turned red. "y-yeah, i guess it has been..." he replied quietly. "were you able to make out anything it said?"

i leaned against the wall, putting my hands behind my head. "nope, it's the same as always. i see this fucker everywhere but..." i trailed off.

"i get what you mean." he picked up one of my plushes in his hands (which just so happened to be his gift,) and smiled. "is this one new? i haven't seen it before." i blushed, twirling a piece of my hair in fingertips. "haha, funny story actually..." he raised an eyebrow, and set the stuffed kitty in his lap.

"that's my gift for you! i saw it last minute in the store. i-i know how much you like cats, so i..." i rubbed the back of my head, grinning like an idiot. sal lifted up his prosthetic and gave me a kiss on my temple.

i whipped my head to look up at him in surprise, my face as red as a beet. sal had never given me a kiss before. he was smiling goofily, before he pulled his prosthetic back down.

"i love it."

i nodded rapidly, biting down on my lower lip in embarrassment. he must have noticed, because he laughed, enclosing his arms around my waist in a protective manner, resting his forehead on my shoulder.

it went silent, but a comfortable silence. we just sat there enjoying each other's company.

that is, until my mother bursted through the door like she was a part of the goddamn swat team.

"oops, sorry. did i disturb anything?" she asked, her head poking through the door. sal and i scrambled away from each other, and i stumbled out of my bed, stomping over to my mother.

"the door was closed!" i complained. she shrugged, the smirk from earlier returning to her face. "yeah, i know, but i don't think you would've heard me yell from the living room if anything dirty was going on in here." she explained. "after my date i'm going to the store real quick. do any of you want anything?"

i groaned, rubbing the back of my head. "yeah, some coke please?" i thought for a moment. "maybe some twix, too." i added. i looked over at sal. "do you want anything?" mom asked, leaning against the door frame.

he shook his head. "no thanks, ma'am." he said shyly. both my mom and i giggled. "oh no- haha, no. m/n is fine." she told him, and i caught his ears turning pink. "you're sweet though, kid. i'm heading out, see you two soon. don't do anything i wouldn't." and with that, she left my room. i pressed my ear against my door and listened until i heard the apartment door shut close, just in case she was fucking around with me.

i turned around to see sal shuffling through his bag, before he pulled out a small canvas. i gave him a confused expression. "whatcha doin?" he jumped, nearly dropping the canvas.

he held it closely to his chest, looking at the floor. "this is your gift." he murmured softly. i felt my heart flutter. "aww! you painted something for me?" i asked happily, walking over to him.

he nodded."mhm. that's why i've been at larry's so much. i wanted it to be perfect." he said, handing it to me.

it was a painting of gizmo and my cat, sitting on top of building. their backs were facing away from me and they were staring out at a sunset, their tails meeting at the ends to make a heart shape.

"it's not the greatest, i know-"

"oh my gosh! are you kidding? it's so cute, sally!" i marveled, cutting him off. i ran over to my dresser and took one of my old paintings off of it, before setting the one sal made in its place. i clasped my hands together, admiring it in its new spot.

i heard sal taking his prosthetic off, so i went over to him, and he was back laying in my bed. i joined next to him, and he sat back up. i let my eyes fall onto the canvas.

"i don't think i've ever loved a gift more; i can tell you put so much hard work and effort into it. it's literally the most adorable thing i've ever seen." i rambled on. sal didn't respond, so i turned my face back towards him. to my surprise, our noses were only inches away from touching.

my eyes widened. i parted my lips to say something; for anything to come out, but i came up empty. sal's gaze stared right back into mine, before he finally spoke.

"i think i'm in love with you..." he whispered. tears welt up in his eye and his face was shaded a light red, like he'd break down at any moment.

"me too." i said softly. he took my hands in his before he leaned in, pressing his lips against mine gently, as if he was scared he'd hurt me. i reached my arms up and cupped his cheeks. the kiss was quick and sweet, and we pulled away after a few seconds.

he let out a deep breath. "i really love you, y/n." he said. his voice was still quiet. "i love you too, baby blue." i responded, caressing his cheek with my thumb.

he pulled me closer to his body and held me tightly. i wrapped my own arms around him, rubbing his back reassuringly. "does that mean you're my girlfriend?" he asked.

"only if you want me to be."

without hesitation, he answered. "of course i do. i've never wanted anything more." i smiled, burying my face in the crook of his neck. "than i'm your girlfriend, sally." i said.

and we stayed like that for the rest of the night.

//ty for 1.76k reads!! idk why but whenever i get a notif it doesnt tell me? like, i don't get the little number on top of the bell and its annoying meeee