36. cinderella boy

song: fallingforyou - the 1975

⋘⋙

Chapter 36 — cinderella boy

"I don't want to go home," Josh mumbles, tears prickling his eyes once more, but somehow manages to keep them at bay; his voice is hoarse.

After that confession of the woman he saw his father with is his best friend's mother, the blond didn't say anything further — just remained quiet, refusing to talk anymore, his mind somewhere very faraway. He has practically grown up with Zach that he feels more like a brother than a best friend and seeing... He honestly needs more time to even wrap his head around the reality of the situation he was forced into.

"Okay," Elliot nods. "We can go back to my aunts' place, if you don't mind,"

"Would you mind?" Josh asks back.

"No, of course not," he assures him and then repeats more firmly, "No. Why would I even ask you otherwise?"

Josh just shrugs, trying to feign nonchalance. He's trying to not show just how rattled he really is; he doesn't know what he should even think or do.

"Look at me," the dark-haired boy says and then repeats it again when Josh doesn't seem to make any movement, "Look at me. I like you, okay. Like a lot. If possible, I'd want to spend every single second with you and want to be there for you every damn time, every damn moment. Don't you dare think otherwise," he says as unwaveringly as he can, "Also, that's what boyfriends are for right," he bumps his shoulders lightly against Josh's.

And despite the hurt he's feeling, his lips twitches. He was starting to regret the fact that he had to drag Elliot through his mess, but right then he cannot be any more relieved to have him by his side.

⋘⋙

"Okay, so here we are," Elliot says as he parks the car, in front of a medium-sized house.

"You sure your aunts won't mind?" Josh asks just as Elliot is about to get out of the car.

"The opposite actually," the curly haired boy chuckles, running a hand through his hair "Also don't worry, they'd probably be asleep by now,"

It was nearing dawn by the time they pull up at Elliot's aunts' place.

"Okay," he nods, and the both of them get out of the car and walk towards the house.

The house is a little bungalow by itself, away from the main part of town, in a quaint little area. Despite having lived in Willowcreeks his whole life, Josh has never visited this neighbourhood before and it is like entering into an unknown territory — both exciting and scary. Exciting, because well this is the first time he is going to his boyfriend's house, despite the unfavourable circumstances and scary, because it is all new and basically unpredictable — there's only two ways this can go — all good or all to hell.

As quietly as he can, Elliot opens the front door and almost yelps when he saw a flurry black thing appear at the front door. He has totally forgotten about the dog, and silently thanks her for not barking.

"Aww, hey Crystal," Josh whispers, and steps in. "I missed you,"

"You still remember her?" Elliot asks surprised.

Josh scoffs at him, and then turns to the dog, rubbing its neck, "This is not a face you'd ever forget,"

"Can I get you anything to eat or drink?" Elliot asks Josh, relieved that he isn't brooding anymore, and is actually smiling, ruffling Crystal's soft fur.

"Water, please," he says, standing up as Crystal had wandered off elsewhere, probably back to sleep.

Wordlessly, Elliot grabs his hand and walks to the kitchen. He hands him a glass of water and takes one for himself. He then keeps his gaze fixed on the blond who is glancing around unsurely, not meeting his gaze.