Thoughts

I walk along the hallway with Mercedes and a few of the girls from glee club. Bieste passes us, I look at the black eye and bite my lip.
"Someone hit the bag too hard." I mutter.
"What was that, Hummel?" Sue stops me.
"Uh...nothing." I frown. "Just a joke."
"There's nothing funny about that." Sue glares.
I gulp and rush to catch up with my friends who look shocked. I shake my head, coaching them to go forward.

We sit in the glee club room, listening to Sue and the others talk to us about domestic violence. Quinn takes my hand and looks at me.
"Max would never do that."
"I could never hit anyone I care about, I mean sure I've gotten into fights." I shrug.
"Well, this week I'm giving you girls an assignment, you're all going to think of a song to empower women."
Great, I can do that. Totally, easy. No it's not. I've never felt empowerment in my life, even coming out didn't do that for me.
"This is hard." I sigh, looking through song books.
"Well, you could do cell block tango with us." Mercedes smiles.
"I don't think that's what Sue meant..."
"What do you suggest?" Santana frowns. "Let me guess, some lame ass country song that no one likes."
"I'm not letting you push my buttons today, Santana." I close the book over and grab a guitar.
"Right, because you're leaving us soon." She sighs.
"Why do you guys see it like that? It's not about me leaving you, it's about me getting out of here." I strum a few chords.
"She's not wrong." Quinn looks at me. "You're leaving us after prom? You didn't even think about us!"
"Like you didn't think about us when you got into Yale." I state, trying to make myself look like it doesn't bother me.
"I thought you'd come with me."
"I'm not talking about this here, I'm leaving so we may as well make the most of it." I put the guitar back down and stand up.
"And we will." Mercedes wraps her arms around me. "We're going to support you, right guys?"
Everyone mumbles an agreement softly. I nod once and head out of the room.

"Coach didn't like it." Santana sits across from me.
"I told you."
"What have you got?" She sighs.
"This." I slide the book towards her.
"You think it'll work?"
"It's also to Quinn, she's been saying things...hurtful things." I sigh heavily.
"Max, why do you put up with her?" She leans forward. "You know you're better than that. You're getting out of this hell hole."
"It's all about her, what about her...I'm leaving her, I'm selfish." I go on.
Santana takes my hand and squeezes lightly, making me look into her eyes.
"I'm happy for you, you've been dying to get out of here since we started dating."
I smile brightly, glad she remembers something about me.
"Are you guys trying to summon a demon?" We look at Brittany and laugh softly.
"No, Brit. Max is feeling a little down because Quinn is being horribly unsupportive."
"Well, I think you're doing a good job with moving." Brittany shrugs. "I mean, you can dance and sing so it's perfect."
I blink in disbelief that Brittany Pierce just said something...smart?
"Thanks, Brit. I appreciate it."
"So, let's practice this song you got." Santana pats my hand softly and stands up.

"Coach, this is for you. It's also for anyone that has been bullied or been hurt by someone's words."

Coach Bieste looks at me with tears in her eyes, breaking into a small smile.
"Thank you, Max. I appreciate that." She sniffs.
I give a small smile back and grab my things before leaving.
"Max." Quinn grabs my hand.
"What?" I sigh, turning to face her.
"I'm sorry, okay? I want us to work even if you go to LA." She tightens her grip.
"What changed your mind?"
"Your song, I realized that I haven't been supportive of your choices...and I know you feel like you don't belong here in Lima." She sighs. "And I love you, and love is about being supportive even if it's hard to see them go."
I grin, looking at the ground then back at her. I wrap my arm around her waist, pulling her in for a deep kiss.
"Thank you." I whisper. "You mean the world to me."
"And you mean everything to me." She smiles, kissing me again.
"Why don't we go on a date? My treat."
"That sounds like a plan."