The Little Things

FAN BANNER BY MIDNIGHT DREAM!! (:
****
~: Chapter Eight :~

It seemed that news of Dathan's untimely fall had spread quickly through the city. By the hour, friends, family, and even some workers, had come to pay their respects. It wasn't until long that the house filled with many family members, whilst smoking cigars and having tea in the living room they made it a mission to keep the staff in the mansion busy. Scarlett appreciated the sudden mood the house took. Cigar smoke filled the atmosphere, men laughed and shared a few drinks. Some had even taken out a deck of cards to play poker. The house seemed to burst with life for once as Scarlett and the girls ran about the house tending to they visit.

She watched the men boast with laughter a few female cousins and nieces wandered about chatting in the tea room away from the rowdy group of men. Scarlett lent against the open frame to the tea room and watched as the ladies sipped their afternoon tea and ate their delectable freshly baked deserts. She had never bonded with any of them. A few conversations here and there but nothing serious not enough to allow her to form a trusting bond amongst them. Pity, she might have just found some sort of refuge within these women yet her dear husband had never allowed it.

"Scarlett, darling, why don't you get your kitchen staff together and have the women cook something to eat for the men. Harold is beginning to complain that he has not had his portion of meat this evening."

Wiping the sweat from her brow Scarlett greeted Antoniate Heart, cousin of her husbands, with a bright smile. "Yes of course, I'll let them know as soon as I take this laundry up to my husband's room." She replied. She pushed away from the open frame and sought to flee the beautiful woman's presence. Most Heart women carried themselves with authority and poise all together it was difficult starring them in the eye at times. Their very gaze seemed to freeze you in your place. Scarlett was neither afraid of this nor timid rather she too felt the need to go into a stare down with them.

"Well, I do say you are quite the little wife, you are certainly not afraid to mingle with the help." She pointed out. Scarlett lifted her chin a little and smiled. She stared at Antoniate with a stern gaze. Taking in the delicate light blue dress she wore, she knew Antoniate had many men and even women do her bidding. With bright fiery hair and green hypnotizing eyes, the woman was an enchantress to any man who sought her company.

"I do what I can to keep busy and "the help" around here are considered friends of family." She replied. Antoniate arched a brow and took her leave disappearing into the crowded living room filled with men.

"I recon she was here to scorn you?" Hanna said.

"Just a few more days and I will be rid of such childish people." She replied. They moved quickly through the house, seeking to get everything done. It seemed however, that no matter how hard they tried to keep everything about the house clean, company did not seem to care.

When the laundry was put away Scarlett left Dathan sleeping soundly upstairs and hurried down to help the girls prepare the men's dinner. The kitchen lay silent as Scarlett and Sonia stood side by side preparing a large meal such as roast, mash potatoes, corn, gravy, and desert.

"How is the Master feeling on this day?" asked Sonia. An amused smile showed on her lips as she peeled the skin off a potato.

"Better, but his mouth is still a foul thing, he rests as we speak," Scarlett replied chuckling lightly. To remember the man put a little twitch on her eye. He seemed to know just how to get under her skin.