Winter Has Come

Chapter Thirty Seven

As she neared the large brick home, she stared in awe as a family of four sat at their old dinner table. A smile tugged at her lips when she witnessed the family pray. Scarlett drew near but not enough to be seen. The mother, whom dressed in a beautiful dark green gown, smiled warmly to her husband, taking his hand as he too grasped it only to place a tender kiss upon it. Two beautiful children sat at each side, their smiles and brighter than the sunshine on summer day. She was tempted to press her hand to glass but instead she wandered her eyes to the side of the home. The sun was setting as she scurried to walk past the large manor towards the gardens in the back.

Looking upon the entrance to the labyrinth she felt the strings of her heart tug at the sight. Her fingers touched the dead worn hedges and a smile reached her lips when she heard that faint water trickling.

"Thank heavens." She whispered, the instant she finally looked upon her old garden. With a smile she walked in and sat on the fountains edge letting the silence and cold prickle at her skin. She had missed the peace and quiet of the garden.

She was risking her health by sitting there but she found that she did not care. In the end nothing mattered anymore. Scarlett felt guilt eat at her as she finally grasped at her hands out of nerves.

"Heavens me, this is all my fault." She breathed.

Had she not shoved Dathan to begin with none of the events that had taken place would have happened. She was to blame and she could understand that. If she would have told Nichole on time what Drake had intended, maybe then there would still be a breath of life in him. Laughter escaped Scarlett as she clutched the blanket tightly around her shoulders. Her laughter echoed in the large garden as she rocked back and forth. However, had nothing to do with joy rather she laughed out of nerves and sorrow.

Covering her mouth she stopped only to feel a few tears slip from her eyes. "My, all of this drama has clearly branded me insane." She said. Part of her understood now that Dathan, her family, and her life would never function properly after all of this. Drake had died because of her and the house had burnt to a crisp because she had provoked the fire. Once her family found out about the horrible things she had committed they would scorn her.

She watched the sky and the beautiful colors that began to taint the sky. Scarlett stood and turned over her shoulder once she walked towards the exit. Memories filled her as she looked upon the fountain, the dead pedals fallen unto the dry grass, and finally the entire hedges.

"Thank you, for giving me the peace of mind and center I so longed for all these years." She whispered. Walking out Scarlett held her head high and walked up to the front door giving it a firm knock. A servant greeted her then and the family took her in, providing her with a bit of shelter before she began to find her way in a new life.

As she settled into her warm bed that night, Scarlett curled her finger into her hair gently allowing the soft tugs to drift her into sleep. To these people she was nothing but a lost soul looking for a bit of shelter and food. Tomorrow would be better and the day after that, things would begin to feel better once she gained her footing.

***

The day had come and Dathan felt his strength had returned. The weather outside was something fierce as the sudden storm hit them with such a violent clash. Ice occupied every possible crevice it could.

He had thought long and hard about what she had confessed. It seemed however that the anger and resentment he felt towards his father would not leave him. Part of him understood why she would doubt his love for her. He had, after all, been a wretched husband to her. He had been plagued and tortured by six months of loneliness and longing, it had been too much for him to resist. Now he wondered just how she had managed after all these years.