Carnival

Chapter Twenty Four

Scarlett sat at the dining room table looking down at her plate of food; she liked what she saw as she dipped her spoon into her cut open baked potato. Looking to her family crowded around passing along bowls of peas, bread, and corn she felt more than content. Ever since her divorce her family was able to get back on their feet with the lands that had been promised to Dathan. Her father was very disappointed to hear about her falling apart with her husband, but had kept his comments to himself. The incident with Camille was kept hush they family chose to act upon it as if it had never happened.

It was best to keep such horrid conversation away from anyone's ears. Things had not turned out as planned and that was the end of that. She would go about her life seeking to find peace within herself and her family. Now that the family was once again gaining their financial state, Scarlett was happy that they no longer faced the poor house. In truth her father didn't like to admit that it was her divorce that had saved them from going poor. Instead, he showed his appreciation in other ways rather than saying thank you.

Now six months after the divorce and incident, Scarlett was once again gathering her physical strength. Gossip had spread and of course horrid rumors of her departure still lingered in the hair. It did not matter to her, Scarlett made certain to hold her head high wherever she went.

Her thoughts were interrupted. Larisa, the second eldest struggled to feed her four months baby boy some mashed peas. The baby protested as he spat the green mush from his mouth rubbing his small eyes in irritation. He blabbered and talked gibberish as he smiled, his deep blue eyes resembled that of Larisa but his dark brown locks were that of his father Cedrick.

"I don't think he's rather fond of green peas." Scarlett chuckled. Watching with enthusiasm the child push the spoon away once again.

"Nonsense I'll have none of it, it's good for him." Larisa protested, determined to make him eat at least a bit. Her cheeks blushed bright red and a stubborn blonde curl dangled from the center of her forehead as she tried endless times to feed him.

"How much do you want to bet that he won't swallow a spoon full?" Nicole said laughing. She sat across from Scarlett, her plate nearly empty. She dressed in a dazzling blue dress complimenting her bright gray eyes.

"Looser gets to mop the floor with a brush." Larisa replied putting on her game face. She was determined to win. It was no surprise to Scarlett that Larisa would easily take the challenge.

"Deal!" Nicole shouted raising her glass to her lips.

"Darling, why not try the mash, he might enjoy it." her husband suggested taking baby Nicholas from her.

"I don't think so, I'm not about to lose a bet to Nicole." She said taking him back onto her lap.

Laughter filled the air as they witnessed Larisa struggled to make him eat the peas, but all he did was push the spoon away. It wasn't long before the child began to cry in protest and Larisa knew she had lost.

"Do you not feel guilt to see your son in such a state?" Scarlett teased. She quickly stood and asked for the baby as he fussed about struggling to be free of his mother's grip. Larisa hesitated as Nicole gave her an evil little smile. Taking a lung full of air Larisa gave up baby Cedrick to Scarlett and watched Nicole laughed. Without a word they both stared at each other, Nicole simply holding a small smirk on her lips as Larisa glared in her direction.