Confrontation

Chapter Thirty Four

The morning spilled through her window. Ice encased every inch of the glass. The little bit of sunshine that fought to break through was no enough to melt away the winter. Scarlett laid in bed, her eyes weary from still wanting to sleep.

Nevertheless, she pulled from the bed and let her feet touch the cold floor. Every fiber in her being was protesting to wake. It was cold and terribly dull, there was nothing she desired more than to huddle under the warm covers. However, Scarlett knew it would not be lady like to laze about in her room. Stretching, she groaned when her limbs protested.

She hurried to refresh herself and dress. Once finally primped and propped she gathered her skirts and opened the door to decent. The morning went as expected, breakfast was served and they gathered to eat a meal of well cooked eggs, buttered bread, and a glass of milk. Everyone, it seemed, would have plans for the day. Mia and Larisa were in search of a tailor who could gratify her sisters desire for a wedding dress. Her father had a few butcher men in search of restocking and he would spend the day in the slaughter house preparing their orders.

It was when they retired to the living room area that a heavy knock filled the warm home. Scarlett stood to answer and was suddenly filled with happiness upon seeing a small delivery boy hand her two sealed letters.

"I have a letter here for a Miss, Scarlett Worthington and Miss Nichole Worthington." He said. Scarlett smiled down at the boy whom shivered from the cold. Out of pity she invited the poor boy in and settled him in the kitchen where she fed him bread and a warm glass of milk. She knew he came from the warehouse. His clothing and dirty face explained it all. A small smile reached her lips as she watched him quickly eat all of his food. Wiping his mouth he let no crumb go without detection before he thanked her for her kindness and hurried out the front door.

"Was that a boy I just saw run out the front door?" Her mother asked.

Scarlett smiled and nodded her interest stolen by the letter in her hand. She cracked the seal and felt her throat shut upon seeing that Dathan sought to meet with her on this day. A gratifying sigh escaped her lips and she smiled unable to contain the excitement dancing in her eyes.

"Whatever is the matter?" her mother asked. Panic struck when she neared her and Scarlett quickly distracted her mother by handing her Nichole's letter.

"This is addressed to Nichole, please see to it that she gets it." Scarlett interrupted, desperate to see her mother vanish from the kitchen. Without another word she took hold of the letter and walked out. Scarlett lent against the kitchen washing bin and smiled brightly to see that things were finally going to be cleared out. Placing the letter against her chest she closed her eyes and felt a mixture of joy.

A giggle of excitement filled the hall and Scarlett left the comfort of the kitchen to witness her sister Nichole laugh. Her cheeks blushed as she held the letter to her chest. Excitement filled her entire face as she spoke of the words written in her letter.

Her mother held Nichole close and kissed her cheek. "I am happy for you dear." She gushed.

"What should I wear?" she asked, looking down to her clothes.

"Why don't we go and buy you something new, take it as a gift from me." Her mother insisted.

Scarlett hurried back into the kitchen and stood a bit confused. Was Drake planning on proposing to Nichole? Had he not coughed up the courage to tell her what his true intentions had been all along? The front door slammed closed and Scarlett hurried towards it. By the time she reached it and opened it, she witnessed her mother and Nichole closing the door to the carriage. She called out to them but they had taken off and the chill of the morning made her flea in retreat.