There's A Fire

Chapter Thirty Five

Scarlett finally broke away feeling her wrist burn from where he had gripped her so furiously. She staggered to her feet only to have Drake grab a hand full of her dress and yank her backwards, slamming hard against his chest. She clawed and swung with all her might but it was then that he slapped her, momentarily making Scarlett's vision grow dark.

"Stop fighting, you and I both know you cannot win!" he taunted.

It didn't matter to Scarlett that he was overpowering her, she wasn't going to stop until she finally freed herself. Her panic and sorrow suddenly turned into anger and she fought with what little strength she had. Drake had managed to rip and tear her dress but he hadn't had the opportunity to take her innocence. Slamming her hard against the dresser Scarlett felt the sharp corner dig into her right side and she screamed out in pain. Hunching from the sharp burn she held tightly to her side and staggered to reach for the door. A plead of aid escaped her lips as tears poured from her eyes.

***

He smiled with joy to see they approached the long dirt road that led to her home. Sudden nerves filled Dathan as he sat back on his seat. What if nothing good came from this visit? With a slow shutter he tried to gather his wits. Closing his eyes he tried to push the negativity out of his head.

Dathan would not give up on her anymore; it didn't matter to him that her parents disapprove. He was more than willing to win them over after he managed to sweep Scarlett off her feet. He understood now that it wasn't about moping about and waiting for someone to come and erase her. He wouldn't have anyone else and that's the way he wanted it.

***

The blows that came over her face tore at her skin. She was choked by blood oozing from her mouth. Her nails crawled at anything, she was nearly blind by this time. It was when Drake slammed her against the wall that she felt her fingers brush the oil lamp near her bed. She felt his fingers grip whatever was left of her dress and her own hand wrapped around the lamp. It was quick she didn't have time to think about it.

Before she could register what she had done Scarlett felt oil splatter over her. The crash of the oil lamp was enough to make him stagger and as she gripped her injured hand Scarlett darted for the door. The opportunity was there, her feet rushed down each step and she nearly stumbled. When he reached her she screamed as her fingers brushed away from the front door. He dragged her then, pushing her tattered and worn body against a settee.

"Please, stop!" Scarlett shouted. She managed to slap him before Drake pressed his weight on her. She pushed and fought and managed to make him wobble. Staggering to sit she watched in horror as he wiped the oil and blood from his face. He charged and in her desperation she fought, her reaction was to lift both feet and in one hard shove she pushed against his chest. Drake gasped at the hard blow and tumbled. She stood, fear overpowering her every move. Scarlett watched in horror as he tumbled near the fire and the oil charged. A scream of agony filled the house as Drake staggered to his feet and fought to rid the flames torching every inch of him. She retreated to a corner where she witnessed the drapery and every inch of the living room go up in flames.

****

It was an agonizing scream that made Dathan make the coach rider push his haste. Smoke suddenly erupted followed by flames. His heart sank as he stumbled out of the carriage towards the front porch. Fear gripped him as he opened the front door only to be greeted by smoke.

"Scarlett!"

The smoke nearly left him blind as he coughed uncontrollably. He covered his face with his coat and rushed towards what seemed like the living room are. Almost everything was up in flames.

"Is anyone in here!" he shouted once again.

"Please, help." He felt the world stop to hear her plea. Dathan pushed past the smoke and witnessed with tear filled eyes her body curled into a corner. Taking her into his arms he ran, he struggled to breathe as they both landed unto the dry dead grass. Scarlett heaved, her body curled in a fetal position.

"Was there anyone else, anyone?" he asked, as he fought to gain control. His coach driver rushed to his aid, offering him a drink from a small canteen.

"Help the lady," Dathan said. He pushed away the man's canteen and watched as he tried in vain to offer Scarlett a drink. His face paled upon seeing her condition and the carriage rider lifted his gaze as Dathan looked on to her home bursting into flames.

"Sir, I think the lady should see a doctor." He pointed out. Dathan turned to look at his worried expression and it was then that he crawled to her. Lifting her into his arms he saw in horror her face battered and beaten. He swallowed hard; trying to compose his anger. Dathan found it was better not to speak for the moment. He merely took her into his arms and held her close.

"Inside he was still inside," she muttered inhaling the fresh air.

"Drake." Dathan muttered as he looked to the house.

Her fingers clutched his shirt and it was then that Scarlett wept.

"Take her," he stated over to the carriage rider. Dathan stood and Scarlett leaped to reach for his hand. His footsteps where quick as he reached the house once again. Her screams faded and he pushed past the dark clouds of smoke to find Drake collapsed near the front door. He worked quickly and took hold of his body. He fought to stay alter fought to reach their side. Dathan felt he would pass when he finally stumbled out. By now the house laid fully aflame. The glass shattered and the roof collapsed. Dathan staggered as his coach rider rushed to help him. They laid Drake's body down and he too collapsed alongside him.

"You foolish man!" Scarlett exclaimed as Dathan fought to stay awake. She crawled to him, her arms reaching to lift him over her lap. Her tears spilled into his face, creating a clear path where the black smoke had tainted his face. She pleaded with him to stay, pleaded to the heavens to let him live.

Her fingers caressed his face as she smiled down at him, "You came," she whispered.

Holding him close she wept and prayed that he would make it out of this alive. It was the carriage rider that urged her to climb inside the safety of the coach to keep away from the cold. By now her body had gone numb and she felt she would rather die by his side.

The faint trotting and protest of a carriage was registered somewhere in the back of her mind but she paid little mind to it. Her world blurred as she witnessed her father shouting, tears pouring from his eyes. She watched in anguish as Nichole and her mother descended from the carriage as well. A scream of agony echoed in the back of her head.

"Scarlett! What on earth is going on!" her father exclaimed.

"He saved me," Scarlett managed to whisper. Her reply was faint as she closed her eyes and her fingers gripped tightly to him.

"You men, call for aid at once!" he demanded. Both carriage riders dismantled the horses and took off in a haste.

"Scarlett my dear, are you alright?" he asked approaching her. Her father's wrinkled worried expression quickly changed to that of horror. He stared down at what once was Drake and quickly pulled a handkerchief from his coat and vomited. He coughed and looked away trying to restrain the other round of vomit wanting to escape him.

"Dathan...tried to save him," she replied, unable to look away from her lovers face.

"Who...is that?" he asked after he had regained his barring's.

"Drake," she simply replied. She felt guilt strike her so deeply, all she could really feel as she looked to where his deformed complexion laid was relief.