The Day is Gone

Chapter Twenty Two

And now I see

My most constant mistake

Is I don't know what I love till it's gone

Take it back

I would take it back

For just another minute

Just another chance with you

It's too late to go back,

I let the darkness seep through the cracks.

Love is bleeding, I curse my breathing.

The day is gone.

The day is gone.

(Noah Gundersen- Day is Gone)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trembling nerves overpowered her body. Scarlett felt her chest tightened as she fought the endless tears slipping from her eyes. Her hands sought one another, her fingers entwined and gripped on tightly. Her heart soared as his words twisted an invisible blade into her heart. She hadn't expected the divorce to affect her so immensely.

Memories flooded her mind as she watched trees and houses blur with her tears. Moon light faded as she began to weep. Her arms embraced her and all the pain she had ever felt consumed her. Her body trembled with the heart ache and Scarlett could not help but cry in deep sorrow.

"Why me?" she whispered as tears streamed down her face.

There was nothing positive that could make her smile or feel somewhat happy that she was finally getting what she wanted. When the carriage came to a stop she took a deep breath and held it.

"Lady Heart, is everything alright?" Mr. Finckle asked.

Scarlett said nothing as the old man opened the door to the carriage and escorted her out. She sniffled and wiped at her tears. Scarlett fought to be strong as she walked inside. Standing there in the foyer she lifted her eyes to look at the large walls of stone starring back at her. The foyer laid quiet and warm, the chandelier above flickered with silent wisps. Candle light illuminated portraits hung on the wall. The gold drapery glimmered under the light.

As hard as she tried to remember a good memory, nothing could surface. A shaky breath escaped her. Silently, Scarlett gathered her dress and took each step as slowly as she could. Her fingers gripped the railing as the heartache consumed her. When she finally reached her room; she opened the door to look around. Closing her eyes, Scarlett sighed and felt as hot tears slipped from her eyes.

Time sized to exist as she stood there, her heart beating; each pulse brought forth a pain she had not expected to feel. Gathering all her strength she began to pack everything into her suitcases. There wasn't much for her to gather, and so she finished quickly. A quiet knock made her turn to find Rose stare at Scarlett with a saddened expression.

"Oh Lady Heart, how I wish this wasn't true." She whispered, as she too wept. Extending her arms Rose took Scarlett into a tight embrace and held her close.

"Be strong child, be strong. You are young and healthy. No matter where you go you will always have someone that loved you here. Don't ever forget that you are a valiant and strong young lady." She said.

A smile reached Scarlett as she held her friend close. She thanked her and placed a kiss unto her cheek before gathering the rest of her things.

"I'll call for Mr. Finckle." Rose said before walking out.

Packing took very little as they hurried to place all of her belongings unto the carriage. Walking down the steps both Mr. Finckle and Rose aided her to strap all her luggage securely in place.