Chapter 12: Two worrywarts

"You will get tired Jamie. The campus is very big."

Jared urged his nephew to use to wheelchair. He was even more worried and overprotective than his older sister.

The boy's nose wrinkled. He did that when he did not like something.

"I strong now Jar."

"Then at least take the cane."

Jamie looked at the silver cane with four legs. His lips jutted out in a pout. Jamie did not care about people's opinions but sometimes it would hurt. He was human after all, subject to pain and suffering.

Kids were the most brutal, calling him names. The naughtier ones would snatch his cane away and watch him stumble on the hard ground as he chased after them.

"You can pretend you are one of the Kingsmen." Jared raised his eyebrows. Lips curled a little. He was not going to give up.

"Not kid anymore, Jar." Jamie folded his arms over his chest.

Beep! Beep!

"Oh, he's here. Let's go." Jared smiled.

Jamie pulled a black umbrella with wooden handle.

"Kingsmen only nice-looking items, Jar."

Jared chuckled at his adorable nephew.

"Hey nephew! Ready for university?" Daniel's excited voice was infectious.

"Yah." Jamie placed his backpack beside him and dropped the umbrella on the floor.

Once Jared sat on the passenger seat, Daniel drove away from the apartment.

"University here we go!"

Jamie chuckled. These two uncles seemed more excited than him. He was excited but also nervous.

Daniel parked at the VIP parking area. It was very near the administrative office. He was, after all, a big share-holder of the university.

The Dean of the School of Arts welcomed them.

"Ah, Professor G! How are you nowadays?" Daniel shook hands with the old man.

"I'm very well thank you Mr. Phillip. On behalf of the School of Arts and the university, I also would like to extend our most sincere gratitude for the new building that you have personally sponsored."

"Ah. Don't mention it Professor G. This is for the future generation." Daniel smiled.

The Dean got the hint. Of course, he would treat Mr. Phillip's adopted nephew very well. He was already briefed by the President. Only the two of them knew of the boy's medical condition. Even the school doctor was not informed. If there was something wrong with the boy, they would call Jared Andreas or Mr. Daniel Phillip himself.

"Jamie this is Professor Bertrand Gaston. He is the dean of your school." Daniel introduced the two.

"Nice meet you Prof. Gaston." Jamie shook hands with the old Dean.

"Nice to meet you too Jamie. I've seen your painting and I must say, I am pretty impressed. Have you had private courses before?"

Jamie pondered for a while.

He was a struggling artist before but never had formal education for the fine arts. He had a talent for it. But his skills were learned by watching street artists perform their craft. Sometimes he visited the open galleries of public museums because he was poor. He practiced his skill and developed it by himself. Poor people can be resourceful.