Chapter 19: Stupid

Be kind to others for you don't know the demons they battle with everyday.

"I rode the bus."

"I rode bussssss."

"The."

"Dhee."

"I rode the bus."

"I rode deeeee bus."

"That's it for today. You are doing well Jamie." The speech therapist remarked.

"Thank Mimi." Jamie smiled.

The speech therapist narrowed her eyes.

"Ssssss. Thankssssss." Jamie grinned.

"And it's Michelle. But I'll let you skip on this one." The therapist smiled.

"I see that the only problem lies when you have so many ideas and that when you try to get your thoughts across you tend to skip on some words. Maybe if you try to slow your pace a bit there might be some changes. Try this suggestion for this week and observe. Tell me about it when you come back for your next session."

"Will do." Jamie nodded. He stood and picked up his trusty umbrella.

Once he got out of the center, he posted a message on their group chat telling his friends that he was done.

Charles was the first to reply. He volunteered to pick Jamie up since Janine was still working in her part time job while Daphne was probably still busy, seeing as the message was not seen by her for a few minutes already.

"Hey girl!" Charles pulled on the side road 15 minutes later. He learned that Jamie suffered from a terrible accident which affected his mobility and speech. He was still on the process of recovery.

Jamie walked slowly aided by his trusty umbrella.

"Ugh. Sorry for waiting too long. I had to go around a protest rally organized by bigots." Charles moved away from the curb after Jamie situated himself comfortably.

"Hmmm. What say?"

Jamie cleared his throat and tried again with much concentration.

"What deyyy say?"

Charles looked at his passenger and smiled.

"Oh, let's not talk about them. It sets me off my mood. By the way how was therapy?"

Jamie hummed then shrugged his shoulders. "Good."

"You can be yourself with me you know. There's no need to correct yourself. Actually, I find you cute, broken sentences and all." Charles smiled.

"Thank. Dis p-ractice. Mimi say so." Jamie shrugged.

"Okay. You can practice with me all you want." Charles smiled and drove off after the traffic light turn green.

Jamie pulled his phone and sent a message on the group chat telling them that they were already near the mall. Daphne replied and told them that she was already there and was just going out of the parking area. Janine told them that she might be a bit late.

Ten minutes later Charles and Jamie finally arrived at the mall. They found Daphne outside a cafe.

"Why didn't you wait for us inside instead?" Charles felt bad for making her wait. If it weren't for that protest he would have arrived earlier.