Chapter 27: REPRESSED FEELINGS

Jared waited for his nephew to speak. A day had passed since the incident at the hospital. Daniel wanted to give them privacy but Jamie thought that it was better when he did not have to repeat his words. Thus, they were all gathered at the living room.

Jamie began with an apology for making his uncle worried. He admitted that he had been sneaking out for almost a year.

Jared felt stupid for not realizing sooner. He had been preoccupied with the restaurant for the past few months. He had also been going to Daniel's apartment recently that he failed to focus on Jamie. Jared blamed himself even more.

Jamie continued to speak. He said that he knew what he did was dangerous, but he was an adult. He should be free to make his own decisions.

"Remember rest'rant op'ning?" Jamie asked Jared.

"No." Jared could vaguely remember what had happened more than a year ago. He was not sure where Jamie was going with the conversation.

Jamie had a lot in his mind but he struggled to get his words out. He forgot some words. He was unable to pronounce some letters.

"Thought I saw some- famil-r on street. But truck came and he gone. Many many day pass an' saw im 'gain on street. I say dis Jamie pa. What he doin' sittin' on street box in front of im? I watch people walk, some put money on box. Why Jamie pa doin that? Day pass gain an I look for im, follow den saw where he live. You know where he live Jar?" Jamie paused.

"He live under bridge, sleep on ground, no bed, just cardboard box an bag." Jamie shook his head in disappointment. "I say dis no good. I must do some-thing."

At that time, Jamie did not have money yet. The only way he thought he could do was to at least make sure Rick got to eat something. Thus, late in the evening he would go out with a paper bag filled with food, water, and some essentials. To make sure he had money to buy those stuff, he painted and sold his works. The better-looking ones he asked for Daniel's help, hoping it would fetch a higher price.

Daniel knew about the paintings. He was the one who introduced Jamie's art to a curator. With his backing, Jamie's art became known to the high society. Jamie's works fetched a high price. Daniel was proud to display some paintings in his office. All those times, Daniel thought that Jamie used his earnings to buy more art supplies. He never thought much of it until Trygvason handed a report.

"Jar, you and I, we have home. We don't get cold. We don't get hungry. We can help."

At the end of Jamie's explanation, Jared's eyes turned red. Long before, Jared knew that Rick did not like him for being gay. Jared tried to go to a conversion therapy that Rick suggested. But no amount of physical and psychological manipulation could change that aspect of him. He pretended to be "cured" just so that he could get out of the center. He did not want to be forced to have sex with girls just to prove that he was no longer "sick". This was Jared's darkest secret.

Jared spoke after a long moment of silence. "I understand you Jamie. However, I don't think I could ever forgive Rick."

Jared averted his gaze and stared outside the window.

"That time when you came out of a coma, it became clear to us that the effect of the trauma on your brain was much worse. You did not remember us. If it meant that you would be free of the bad memories of the past, then it was better not to remember. That was what I thought before. Do you have any recollection of your childhood?"

It was a triggering question but Jared wanted to know.

"No." Jamie frowned. He tried to recall but there was a wall blocking his mind. He felt that somewhere behind that wall, there was something hurting deep inside. It brought a painful feeling to his chest.