Chapter 13: Sidekick

Jamie was unable to hide the injury from Jared's sharp eyes. There were abrasions on his arms. He didn't have one on his knees but it was bruised.

"Fell. Accident, Jar. No biggy."

Jared's first thought was someone must have hurt his nephew.

Jared raised an eyebrow.

"You tell me when someone is hurting you okay? Don't hide things from your uncle."

Well Jamie's opinion he was honest. He technically fell while bumping onto someone by accident.

"Hungry. Go eat, Jar. No lunch today." Jamie fixed the seatbelt and threw his bag and umbrella at the backseat.

"Why didn't you have lunch?"

"Smelly cafeteria."

Jared realized that the boy's sense of smell was very sensitive. He should have packed lunch for him. In his excitement, he forgot about it.

"Alright, let's go home."

A few minutes after they arrived, there was a knock at their door.

Jamie opened the door and found the handsome Daniel with two boxes of pizza and a case of soda.

"In." Jamie retreated to allow the tall man to enter.

"How was your day nephew?" Daniel placed the boxes on the table.

"Fine. Tiring. Class too long. Imagine sit down three hours morning. Three hours afternoon. Bum sore."

Daniel laughed at the boy's misery.

"Well that's first year university. You will be learning the fundamentals mostly. So long seminars are inevitable."

Jared came out with three plates of lasagna.

"Hey, you're here. Meeting finished quickly?"

"Yeah. There wasn't much to do really so I decided to pop by. Hope you don't mind." Daniel stood up and helped him with the cutlery.

"No. Not at all. It's great that you are here actually." Jared smiled.

Jamie observed the two men's conversation. There was an undeniable chemistry between them.

Jamie noticed Daniel's subtle moves like the one where he opened a bottle of soda for Jared and putting slice of pizza on Jared's plate.

Jamie decide to finish his snack quickly and leave the two to themselves.

"Are you finished Jamie?" Jared asked when the boy stood up.

"Yeah. I do homework."

"But you ate to little." Daniel frowned.

"Stomach not hold much yet. Eat more Uncle Daniel."

Daniel recalled that the boy would have difficulty breathing when he ate too much. So, he let it go.

When the boy left to his room, Daniel heard a sigh.

"What is it?"

"Didn't you notice the wounds?"

"Ah." Daniel exclaimed. He listened to the man's grievances.

"He said he fell by an accident."

"Maybe he did. You are just over worried Jared."

"If I am right... if I am right and something was happening on my watch and I didn't do anything about it-"

"Jared. Jared. It's going to be alright. I will be here. I won't let something happen to your nephew." Daniel placed a reassuring hand on Jared's shoulder.