1. The Roomate

I drop the last box on my bed and sigh deeply. My new room is full of boxes and bags. I have some serious unpacking to do. I stumble over to the adorable window seat. The city has gorgeous views and I am dumbfounded as to how the girl living here already didn't claim this beautiful room. 

I hear the door slowly open and glance up. It's my older brother, Asher. "Hey, Adora. Yeesh, you have a lot of boxes to unpack." I laugh.

"Heh, yeah I know." I stand up and cross the room to him. "You wouldn't happen to love unpacking, would you?" I ask sweetly. 

"Lucky for you, I'm free for the rest of the afternoon." I pump my fist. 

"Yess!" I open the flaps of one box of clothing, and Asher opens the bag with my bedding in it. I put away clothes as he makes the soft mattress a bed. A few hours later, we have nearly finished.  "Hm, where are the boxes with my pillows in them?" I ponder, glancing around.

"You mean the makings of your nest?" I glare at Asher, and he chuckles, picking up a small pile of packages. "They're right here, Dora." I take them from him and begin to place the pillows. When they are all settled, I pick up the beautiful afghan my nana knitted for me. I run my hands lightly over the white and blue stripes of the pattern. I lay it at the base of my bed, the final touch. 

"There. Now that's a room." Asher and I admire our work. My white throw blanket sits on the black fabric of the window seat. My mahogany desk sits with my Apple laptop and collection of music boxes on it. The white and grey bedspread compliments the army of white, grey, and blue pillows that make up my 'nest.'    I suddenly turn and throw my arms around my brother. "Thank you soo much for helping me! That would've taken me ages!"

"You're welcome, Adora. As a thank you present, you should buy me dinner, seeing as how I'm starving." I laugh and smile. We head out to my favorite restaurant, a small place called Nóstimo. It's an all greek restaurant, and it's delicious! We call up our mom, and she meets us there. 

"So, how'd the unpacking go?" Mom asks, as we sit down at a table near the front. 

"Great! Asher even helped, which is way definitely awesome." I grin at my brother and he smiles back.

"I feel special, you used your saying to describe me." I roll my eyes playfully as my mother laughs with Asher. My family always pokes fun at my description of awesome things, but I like to think it gets the point across. 'Way definitely awesome' makes it so much more obvious that something is great. A waitress makes her way over to us, and immediately her eyes go to my cheek and swollen lip. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops and small bit, before she recomposes herself and looks away my brother. I avoid her gaze until she asks for my order. 

"Uhm, the moussaka, please. With a water, thanks." She nods, eyeing my face for another moment before walking away. "Excuse me." I mumble, rising and going to the bathroom. Staring in the mirror, I examine the blue and purple dusting on my cheek. It's much better than it was a few days ago, but no one here will know that. The punch that caused this lovely look was a parting gift from my ex, Amber.  I can still remember her heavy breathing, the blood from my biting my cheek running down my cheek, and the tears that came with the attack. I splash water on my face, then breath deeply. "Okay. Okay." I whisper, staring into my haunted blue eyes. I exit the restroom and take my place at the table again.

"Are you alright, honey?" My mom asks, her brow furrowed.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Thanks mom." I give her a weak smile, and the rest of the meal goes by quietly. 

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I arrive back at my apartment, and my roommate is still no where to be seen. I haven't met her yet, but her name is Ezra. She's 24, a year younger than me. She's out of college as well, and...that's about  the end of what I know. I quickly change into a loose navy blue tank top and white pajama shorts. I grab my laptop and head to the living room.

 I open up the document titled 'Soar Higher', the novel I'm editing for a nice woman named Emill. It's her fourth book, and I'm so happy she choose me as her new editor. She's liked the suggestions I've made so far, so I guess I'm doing a good job. I finish reading where I left off, making a few notes here and there. It's on a shared document, so she and I can both access it at the same time, and I can make comments on certain lines without actually changing the doc.

 An hour later, I've made decent progress. My eyes are soo tired, and I check the time. It's 11:24. Meh, not a bad time for sleep. I shut down my laptop and head back to my room. I burrow myself under the covers and fall asleep.

A/N

Hey, so here's a new story for all your enjoyment.

This is gonna sound kinda sad, but I don't know how much I'll be writing on my other stories. They're really baad, and I have very little hope of getting them to where I want. I may finish an ending for No, we are not A Couple, but I'm not so sure about FASdtD. I had such high hopes for it, but I dunno. I think I'm going to try and make this one more of what I wanted. 

Anyhoo, hope you enjoy!

~Hedgehog