8. The Dahlia

"I don't know, but I think I may be fallin' for you.." I blink, and sunshine floods my eyes. "Dropping so quickly, maybe I should keep this to myself." Someone is singing. I have a headache, and I can't remember anything. "Waiting 'til I know you better." Who is that? "I am trying, not to tell you, but I want to." I rub my eyes a groan. It's so pretty, but I'm really tired. My whole face is exploding right now. "I'm scared of what you'll say, and so I'm hiding what I'm feeling." I squeeze my eyes shut one last time, then open them. "But I'm tired of holding this inside my head." 

Ezra is standing in front of a mirror in her room. A hairbrush is in her hand, and music is coming from her phone. She's wearing a t-shirt with sleeves that have obviously been cut off, and shorts that expose much of her legs. "I've been spending all my time just thinking about ya.." Ezra's melodic voice floats through my ears and echoes in my head. "I don't know what to do, I think I'm fallin' for you." Looking in the mirror, she notices me sitting and watching her. "Hey!" She turns around and smiles. "You're up." I blink again, and glance around. Right.

I'm in Ezra's bed, wrapped in her sheets. Dear god, curse me and my fears. The walls are the same ivory color as mine, but everything else is completely different. Instead of blue, her room is full of yellow accents. Yellow pillows, yellow stool next a white desk, and sunflowers in a vase on her dresser. Behind the headboard of the bed is a memory board; thin, white wire with picture or tickets and things clipped to it. Ezra and two young girls. Ezra and an older couple. A concert ticket. A small note: Never stop flying, Ez! Dance on!

"Hey." I say, sounding more awkward than a person who just got caught trying to pull on a push door. I stare down at the soft grey blanket. "I'm so sorry." I get up and immediately head for the door. The sound of Ezra's phone follows me as I go.

I don't know what to do
I think I'm fallin' for you
I'm fallin' for you

"Don't go. Please." I pause for a moment. "I'm not upset!" Ezra half laughs through her next line. "I'm just curious as to why I came home to you in my bed." I flush, and push my hand up the jacket sleeve, digging my nails into my arm. So embarrassing. Don't cry, don't cry.     "Adora? I'm not upset." Ezra repeats. "Hey?" I slowly release my arm and stare at marks I've left. Then I turn to Ezra.

"Okay. The truth is, is I was terrified." Ezra stands silently, waiting for me to continue. "I hate storms. They terrify me. I tried to run to my room, but came in here instead. I was too nervous and freaked out to leave. The power was out, and I just.. I'm sorry." I grab my opposite arm behind my back and stab that one with my finger too. I rock on my heels, waiting for Ezra to yell at me.

"Okay. I'm afraid of cockroaches, or I guess more specifically, I have Katsaridaphobia." Ezra just smiles at me. 

"You're not more angry? I invaded your personal space without permission, and-"

"Adora, stop worrying. It's okay, I understand. Is it a phobia, or a just a fear?" I stare for a few more seconds.

"It's- I have Astraphobia. I've had it forever, and I've never had it dealt with." Ezra looks pitiful, and comes towards me.

"I'm sorry. We tried curing my fear, but I didn't work." She laughs softly. "I just pounded on the door and screamed, 'I'm gonna eat you if you don't let me out.'. I was sobbing a screaming. We tried again, but." She shrugs. "I'm sorry I wasn't here for you. I know how horrifying phobia's can be. I told you I shouldn't have gone." Ezra carefully searches my face. 

"It's okay. I deal. Besides, your dance is much more important than me. I'm just your new roommate. Dance is your whole career." Ezra shakes her head, and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. Her fingers linger on my cheek, her gorgeous eyes twinkling.