15. The Date

"Will you go on a date with me?" I blink and tilt my head.

"What?" Ezra rolls her eyes.

"Will you.. go on.. a date.. with me? Your girlfriend?" She says, really slowly, as if talking to a small child. "We've not ever gone on, like, a real date, with romance."

"Oh." I give her a crooked smile. "Sure. I'll go on a date with you. Where?"

"It's a secret." I sigh and glare at her.

"Really? How am I supposed to know how to dress then?" Ezra smirks.

"You dress how I tell you to." I raise my eyebrows.

"Oh, really? And how's that?"

"Warm, but casual." She taps my nose. "Be ready by three. Love ya!" She turns and heads for the door.

"And where are you going?"

"To set a few things up! Bye!" Ezra calls over her shoulder. I throw my hands up and laugh.

"Bye, then." The door shuts quietly behind her, and I head go to take a shower. I have a little over two hours to get ready, which is more than enough time. I turn my phone to my favorite playlist and step in. I take my time, because I clearly don't need to rush.

When I finish, I tie my hair back, away from my face. I dig around in my closet and find an off-white sweater. I pair it with some jeans and look in my dresser for a scarf. I find a cute maroon one and smile. My hair doesn't take too long to dry, so by the time I've finished dressing, it's perfectly damp. I braid it, and while I wait for it to set, I start my makeup. I don't like heavy makeup, so it's a light grey eyeshadow and a nude lip. As I'm brushing on mascara, a timer on my phone goes off, which means my hair is done. I blow dry it, just to make sure there's no sign of wetness anymore. I carefully unbraid it and brush it slowly. After hairspray, I have loose, no-heat curls. I give myself a once over in the mirror and give a satisfied grin. "Damn." As an after thought, I brush some highlighter over my cheekbones, then head to my room to pick out some sort of shoe.

I find some calf-length brown boots and pull them on. The look is complete, with half an hour to spare. I tap my chin for a second before grabbing my laptop. Might as well get a few pages done while I'm waiting.

'Deep Blue' is coming along so well. I've almost finished it. But once I'm done, I'll have to find someone who can edit it for me, and of course find a publishing company. It's funny, I'm an editor and can't edit my own book.

The main character of my story is sort of an embodiment of myself. Sort of. Kiana is a surfer who almost drowns one day. After recovery, she is terrified of surfing again. But when she builds a good support system of friends, and falls in love again, she gains the courage to try again. The reason I connect with the plot so much, is because of the hesitation towards starting again. She's nervous to start anew, and I put my emotions and feelings into the story, which makes it so much more.. full. There's so much more of an understanding in it, because I tried my hardest to put my feelings into words. Kiana is my pressure valve, where I can release my happiness and my pain. I don't always have to write the chapters in order. Sometimes, I start a chapter that will come later in the story. I write whatever emotion I feel at the time. Since I'm near the end, the chapter I'm working on now is the one where she's finally being convinced to surf again. She's excited, terrified, and full of anticipation. Like I am right now.

The apartment door flies open and Ezra bounds in. She shrieks when she sees my laptop in my lap.

"Dude! It's date night! You relax, not work!" She grabs the sides and begins to pull it away. My chest fills with panic.