5. The Ex

On- off

On- off

On- off

My phone screen blinks every time Ezra sends me a new message.

Where are you

Adora I'm worried

Can we just talk 

Adora hey

Where are you

Are you okay

I'm sitting in a tiny cafe, a few streets down from our apartment. Ezra hasn't stopped texting me since last night. I really don't want to talk to her. I've made a fool of myself- again. Why won't she leave me alone?! I treated her like crap, and here she is, worrying about me. 

I look up abruptly, feeling like I'm being stared at. I glance around, but no one is looking my direction. I look down at my phone again. Emill replied to my email, and she wants to meet up and discuss my progress with her novel. We plan to meet at her penthouse later today. Yes, penthouse. She's practically this year's J.KR. No, not really, but she's still doing great. 

"Hi, can I help you?" I look up and see a young girl with a notebook. "Would you like to order something?" Ah, right, you have to buy things to sit in restaurants.

"Um, just some apple juice, please. Thank you." I give her a quick smile and she nods. My stomach is turning, but I need something. A few minutes later, she sets a glass on the table and heads away. I take a small sip, and nearly drop the glass as my phone starts ringing abruptly. I choke a bit, and pick it up.   "Hey, Mom. What's up?" 

"Hi, sweetheart, just checking in. How are things? How's your new roommate?"

"Things are good. My roommate's...awesome. Ezra's really nice."

"Good, I'm glad honey." I take another drink of the apple juice.

"I was thinking of coming home this weekend, is that okay, mom?"

"Honey, of course it is! I would never say no."

"Great. Listen, I need to go mom. I love you, and I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Okay, sweetie, love you." I set my phone down, and the waitress comes over again. 

"Here." It's a plate of heart shaped pancakes.

"Um, I didn't order this, sorry." I push the plate towards her again. She grins.

"Nono, the pretty girl ordered it for you." She points, and we both look to see the cafe door swing shut. "Oh, she must have left. Here, she left this." The waitress drops a note, and walks away. I fold open the paper slowly.

Adora

Pretty name you have. Your face isn't so pretty anymore, but I can forgive that.  I can also forgive you breaking up with me. <3

-A

I drop the paper like it's on fire. A. A for Amber. Dear god, I am not touching those pancakes. No way. I rip the note up and pay the waitress. I leave the cafe, extremely aware of my surroundings.  I begin walking home, so I can change for my meeting with Emill. Ezra isn't here, thank god. I put on a grey blouse and some black jeans. I brush through my hair and walk out the front door. In front of it, I find a rose, ew, and a note. I hate roses. I slowly flip open the paper, my heart pounding.

Adora

I love you. You're so lucky, because anyone would kill to have me. Here's a rose to show my dedication. I love you. 

-A

Dear god. I toss the rose in the trash as I pass, along with the note. I take the subway to Emill's street, and ride the elevator to the penthouse. I knock, laptop bag in hand.

"Hi, Adora! Great to see you." I smile.

"You too."

 ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

A few hours later, I'm walking through the lobby. An older woman approaches me.

"Are you Adora Quinn?" 

"I- Um, yes?" She sighs with relief and hands me an envelope.

"Here." She walks away without another word. I open the envelope with trembling hands. 

Hey, baby. Can't wait to see you. I love you so much. 

-A

I crumple it up and throw it away. I am so creeped out right now. Why the hell is Amber sending me these notes? On the train home, I feel someone staring at me. I snap my head around, but it's not Amber. It's a small young girl who grins when she sees me.

"Hi! You're pretty. I'm Quinne." I sigh and smile.

"Thank you, you're pretty too. Your name is cool too. Wanna know  a secret?" She nods eagerly, leaning forward, still grinning like mad. "My last name is Quinn." Her mouth opens and she beams.

"Cool! Our names match. Do you like cake? I really like it, I even have a cake hair clip." Quinne tugs forward a section of her hair to show me the slip.

"That's so cool. I like cake too." I show her my laptop bag, which has a cupcake pin on it. 

"Our cakes match too! I think we're supposed to be friends. Do you want to be friends?" She smiles and bats her eyes un-shyly. 

"Sure, I'd love to be friends." Quinne beams and bounces up and down, giddily. The train stops.

"I have to go, but it was awesome meeting you. Bye, Quinne." She waves, giggling. 

"Bye, other Quinn!" I shake my head and smile. Kids. I walk slowly up to my apartment. I unlock the door and step in. Three steps towards the living room, and the door slams open again. I jump and whirl around. My eyes widen as I stare at the girl before me. Her red hair has burned itself  into my memory, and her smirk scars my brain. 

"Hello, love." She coos. "Miss me?" 

A/N 

>:3