4. Nagito sets fire to a table (and you wont believe what happens next)

I hear the all too familiar ~ding~ of the door opening, and frown when I see the couple. The shorter, more mature one of the pair, Hajime Hinata wasn't too bad of a guy. Sure, his mis-matched Christmas eyes took some getting used to, and his brown hedgehog spikes he had the audacity to call hair was a nuisance for security guards everywhere—but nevertheless, he was all in all, a pretty great guy. Or so I thought.

His tan, sturdy hand was wrapped around the skeletal, more pale hand of Nagito fucking Komaeda. The cloud haired luckster was never a good person to have around. Kicked out of 26 different places for strange incidents (if you count the places he's shut down by accident, 37) often including banana peels and explosives.

If I wasn't working, he'd be fun. Especially once you tune out his self deprecating talk about hope, despair, and humanity. You never know how the days going to go with Nagito.

"Oh, Toko!" Hajime waved unenthusiastically. "Didn't know you worked here."

"Date?"

"Yep. We've almost run out of date spots at this point." Nagito grinned, "Sorry to bother a symbo-" Nagito was cut off by Hajime blocking his mouth with his hand.

"We'll order in a pinch."

I check the clock. Half an hour till my shift is over. Maybe I won't have to stick around for the Komaeda-Disaster. That'd be nice. I text Komaru about the situation.

'Lmao' she sends back, and I smile, she texted back so quickly, there's no way she's with Yuta.

A waitress came into the kitchen, "An extra large caramel frappe, lemon tart, and mini sandwiches for table twelve." She sighed, "Toko could you take care of them please, I gotta get home— "

"Right, your aunt."

"Thanks a dozen."

I turn to see who's seated in table twelve, and—

Of course.

Sighing as I start on their frappe. My hands move on their own as I think back to an old memory.

~~

I was ten, she was nine. I still hadn't gotten fond of her. Even if she was only a year younger, we never played together. I was staying at Makoto's, since all my parents were busy, and my moms weren't too happy with the idea of my dad staying with me. Not since The Incident.

Makoto's parents decided that I would be better off sleeping in the same room as Komaru. Nobody except Makoto knew about Genocider. She was obviously terrified of Genocide Jack, even if I—Genocider had only committed a single murder at that point, although it was still pretty recent. I remember her shaking me awake, she was scared that Genocide Jack would come through the window and kill her.

"They won't, really." I remember telling her, rolling my eyes like a sassy ten year old. She shook her head, wide eyes burning into mine. I decide to entertain her a bit. But somewhere, at some point in the middle of it all. I sneezed.

When I regained consciousness, all I remember was the sudden need to protect Komaru. I never knew what happened that night. I remember the slight singe to the ends of my hair, a mystery I never found out the cause of.

~~

I swear I could still smell the slight singed smell. Like a campfire in the distance...

Wait.

"Fukawa, why's there a fire at table twelve?" a gentle man with a brown buzz cut looked over at me. I see his mono-brow furrow into a knot, soft green eyes looking over at the table. I sigh, and turn to see what kind of bullshit Nagito-its-for-the-sake-of-hope-Komaeda has gotten himself into this time.

Hajime and Nagito stare idly into the fire. I see them talk, casually. You know, like there's not a fire there. I see another waitress grab an extinguisher and run towards the fire, but right when she got there, thunder clapped outside and it began to rain outside. The rain came in through the open window, extinguishing the fire—which I didn't even know was possible—I sigh again.

Always a spectacle to watch, he is. I hear him call out to me and I head over. "You wanna order a side of hope with your fire?"

"Sorry about that, Toko." Hajime said nonchalantly, like he's already used to this. Probably is, now that I think about it. Those two have been going steady a while, I think. Poor Hajime.

"Aha... I can't believe trash like m—" Nagito stops abruptly, then continues, "sorry we bothered you, Toko." I see him flash his more built boyfriend a smirk.

"Better, I guess." Hajime muttered, biting back a smile. Proud, I guess.

I glance at the clock, its almost the end of my shift. Finally. I rush back into the kitchen and try to finish up what they ordered, quickly keeping it there. Right when I was about to leave--

"Oh, Toko, your done already?" Komaru asked, running a finger through her soft muddy green hair. Familiar green eyes staring into my plain purple ones.

"Uh yeah, I was just about to leave."I point towards my plain clothes.

"I believe we haven't met?" an unfamiliar voice, like a wave crashing against rocks.

His eyes were blue blue blue, like a storm on Neptune, like the ocean shrunk into a glass sphere, like my best friend telling me I had nothing to worry about when I had everything to worry about. Contrasting skin that the sun itself must have kissed, because there was no way in hell it could've been natural, no way anyone was born that ethereally beautiful. He had a big grin, as to be expected, he was holding hands with Komaru. His smile reminded me of another smile, one that shone when presented with donuts, one that shone after a race with a towel around her neck, one that shone when she looks to me in class while proudly saying the wrong answer.

Oh, I haven't met him but I knew damn well who he was. Aoi Asahina's younger brother, Yuta Asahina.

Komaru's boyfriend.

——————-
AN: unedited rn because this is a bit late.

and by a bit late I mean, god DAMN this is way too long overdue. I missed my boyfriends, so here they are!