Prologue

The war had started at least 10 years before the girls were born. Catra had lost her father and her brother, as she entered the world in a makeshift shelter by a  busy market . Adora had been curled by the fireplace, her family basking in the joy of their newest arrival. The girls were from completely different worlds, but they soon became close friends.

The small schoolhouse the girls attended in their youth, was run by Sister Weaver, or Shadow Weaver as Catra called her. She was strict and cold, a math book in one hand and a wooden paddle in the other. Adora showed up every day with an apple for Sister Weaver in her freshly pressed uniform, Catra had barely woken up, following Adora like a lost puppy to avoid another scolding.

Now, Adora attended Brightmoon Academy, a larger school for gifted minds.  Catra still shared a bus route with Adora, and they sat shoulder to shoulder as their peers filled the bus. Catra pulled a switchblade out of her pocket and started to carve a doodle into the wall of the bus.

Adora gasped as she saw the drawing of her and Catra.

"Oh my god, Catra! Put that thing away before you kill someone! Where'd you get that thing anyway?"

Catra twirled the blade like a basketball on her fingertips. "It was my dad's" she mumbled. 

Glimmer and Bow sat on the seats behind Adora and Catra, Glimmer's pink binder shimmered like a beacon as she took the window seat. Bow waved to Adora, then began to fiddle with a chunk of metal.

"Bow, you're still working on your woodshop project?" Adora lectured.

"I've finished most of it,  I just want it to be perfect. Besides, I don't to waste the metal."

The metal had been becoming harder to find around Etheria.

"Don't worry, Bow. We'll be fine."

Then, another vehicle slammed into the bus.