Chapter 12

As soon as the sun began to rise, Adora knew what she had to do.

She took a shower and changed into something more presentable. She felt a black dress was appropriate.

A satin gift box sat in her room. She folded the pink sweater to fit inside, then reassembled her childhood doll. Finally, she set a photo and note from Catra atop the items. Adora swung the collection underneath her shoulder before packing bags of her own. Regardless of her emotions, her belongings remained neatly folded and clean. 

Adora fixed up her room before taking everything downstairs. Adam's car had left the garage. 

"Adora, there you are. Are you hungry?" Her mother kindly offered.

Adora was adamant to leave quickly but took a seat at the table.

Her mother was silent until she set down a dish of pancakes. She set her hand on Adora's shoulder.

"I'm sorry." 

"It's not your fault.  Adora hesitated, It's- its not anyone's fault."

The two ate their breakfast, enjoying each other's company as the sun beamed through.

"So, Catra and you were -are dating?"

" Since 6th grade." Adora smiled.

"How come you never told me?"

"Besides you banning her from sleeping over?" Adora scoffed teasingly.

A fork clattered to the floor, startling them both. The older blonde reached for it and put it away.

"Did she ever tell you? That her family was in the Horde?"

"In the arena. Adora was teary-eyed now. She just wanted to be happy."

"Adora, Catra was no monster. You made her very happy." She nodded for a while.

"So you're leaving? I've never seen so many suitcases."

"I can't stay here." Adora pouted. I want to go to college and keep this from happening again."

Adora's mother sat quietly, before moving the suitcases closer to the garage.

"I'm so proud of you." Adora and her mother hugged once more.

Adora pulled her belongings into her car and drove away. She didn't know how long she would hurt like this. But now was the time to do something about it.