Chapter 5

Adora sat by the windowsill of her bedroom, her phone sitting beside her. It was far too late now, the evening turning to sunrise, but Adora wanted to talk to Catra. She wanted to hear her voice, to know they were both safe. A bit earlier this morning, the blonde had the blast of gunshots, the terror waking her like a bathtub of energy drinks. Her brother had insisted they were only fireworks, but his tone seemed off. 

Besides, who sets off fireworks in August?

Adora restlessly put on her uniform and blazer, a soft blue and white color scheme. She tied her hair in her classic high ponytail and slid on her backpack. Swift Wind was curled peacefully in the living room, her father was leaving for work. She waited until he was gone to pull up the screen of her window, set both feet on it, and climbed down into the yard. She dashed past the main streets of her neighborhood until she reached a town just behind Catra's bus stop. the few houses were placed close together as if it was all one house. Cans and pieces of trash decorated the yard, and a child wailed horrifically in the left-most house.

Adora was sure this was where Catra lived, but from their view on the bus stop, it didn't look nearly as bad. She knocked on the door of the first house, awaking a muscular woman with red hair. "What do ya want?" she yawned.

"Does Catra live here?"

just like that, the woman slammed the door.

Adora tried the next few houses until Catra emerged from the garage behind it. Everyone Adora had spoken to had rolled their eyes as Catra joined her.

"Remind to never come to look for you again." Adora laughed.

Catra nodded, her eyes wide and tired.

"Did you hear the bullets too? That was so loud, I couldn't  sleep through it."

"I heard 'em, Catra yawned, didn't sleep much either."

Adora stood in front of Catra and let her climb onto her back as she walked. Adora hummed a cheerful tune as her friend dug her face into her ponytail, finally sleeping.

As they waited for the bus, Adora let herself sigh deeply, and kissed Catra's forehead. She would never admit this to anyone, but she kind of hated living atop the hill in the middle of nowhere. Not only was it isolating, but having done the math, Adora realized she couldn't get to any of her friends in an emergency. Catra would be absoulutly mangled before Adora could get off the main road. 

No wonder everyone thought she was a snob. She would get to sit in her hilltop palace watching everyone being murdered.

Adora waved the cold air into her face. She couldn't start crying now. Despite her outward appearance, Adora was an ugly crier. It would wake Catra up for sure.

She eased Catra off her shoulder as the replacement bus pulled up to them. 

They sat down, far from every window. and clasped their hands together in silence.