9: A new friend

He arrived like a whirlwind. He was youth, confidence, and swagger. But he was also trustworthiness and kindness. Just like his father. His name was Devan Seaworth.

He jumped off his horse as he arrived at the Baratheon camp by the Cross Roads Inn and handed its reigns to the nearest soldier.

"I've come to meet the new Lord Baratheon," he said with the confidence that only a man too young to know better can possess.

Gendry heard the call for him from inside his tent and went outside to see who was asking for him. He had never met Devan before but the recognized him despite that. He looked like his father. The man Gendry owed his life to and trusted most in the world.

"I'm Lord Baratheon. I'm Gendry Baratheon. And you must be Davos' son."

As Gendry walked up to Devan he realized how tall the new arrival was, much taller than himself he noted somewhat begrudgingly. Devan towered almost a head above him. But he still looked very young, despite his height. He hadn't yet acquired the muscles to go with his height. And his hair looked like he had just got out of bed.

Devan smiled as he took Gendry's hand to greet him. He had a smile that could melt all the ice up north.

"You are right Lord Baratheon. I'm Devan Seaworth. Davos is my father and he sent a raven telling me to come here to meet you. To help you convince the Stormlords to support you. So you are the one who's going to save us all?"

"I can't promise to be your savior, but I will try my best. All I have is the Baratheon name and my father's face. I'm told that I look like him. Hopefully, that is enough."

Devan looked at him for a minute. Like he was trying to evaluate if Gendry actually looked like his father, the king. Although Devan was probably too young to even remember how Robert Baratheon had looked like.

"Those things will get you far in the Stormlands. The Baratheon name is still spoken with reverence. But from what my father wrote to me I believe you are more than a name and a face. You're a brave man, a warrior, a survivor. And if you are all that it might just save us."

Hearing that Davos had said that about him almost made Gendry well up. If Davos believed in him maybe he could actually do this.

"I respect your father more than any other man so I'm pleased to hear he said that. I hope to make him proud."

Devan suddenly got serious, gone was the smile that could melt ice. Instead, it was replaced by a scowl.

"I wish I could say I respect my father too, but he is a coward who has been too scared to come back home and face my mother ever since my brother Mathos died. And even now he leaves it up to me to lead you to the Stormlands instead of doing it himself because he doesn't want to go home. I won't respect him until he does. But I still trust him and if he says you are a good and capable man I believe him. And I will support you just as he does."

***

With Devan's help, the armies traversed the kingdoms, marching towards the Stormlands. Devan had scouted which roads should be safe to travel on his way to meet them. They traveled on the King's Road for a long while, but they made sure not to come too close to the capital. Because they wanted to avoid a battle with Queen Cersei's armies.

On the 7th day of traveling, they passed over a river. Devan turned to Gendry as they did and pointed at it.

"That's the border. Now we're in the Stormlands. This is your kingdom Lord Baratheon." he said and gestured with his arms towards the lands.

Lush dark green woods laid in front of them. Winds were rattling the leaves as they rode by. They could spot deer, rabbits, and squirrels hiding among the trees. The sun brightly lit up the lands but over the horizon dark grey clouds were stacked. Soon a rain would come, and then the sun would shine again. The weather was always changing in the Stormlands.

This was Gendry's home now. This was where he belonged. This was where House Baratheon belonged.