Chapter Thirteen

My breath heaved in and out of my lungs as I ran down the winding road away from the Heelshire estate as fast as I could. My legs were burning and my sides were cramping. A fear in the back of my head that Brahms was behind me kept the adrenaline pumping. I ran and ran for what seemed like hours. With every step I grew more and more weak and dizzy. Just keep going.

Finally, I came to a small village just outside of the woods. I walked around for a long time hiding in the shadows trying to figure out how I could get cleaned up and get some fresh clothes. It was night time, I assumed later than midnight so most likely everyone was asleep.

I slid the purse I had brought with me off of my arm. It had every single payment the Heelshire's had given me inside of it. With the little amount of moonlight, I managed to count out $24,000 in pounds. I had stayed in that house twenty four weeks and that was my sick reward. I tucked the money gently back into the envelope and stuffed it deep into my purse. my hand brushed against a small little box which I knew was my phone.

Realization flooded into my mind as I realized I could finally call Sandy. I held my phone up in the air hoping for it to catch a signal. The cell service was weak but at least it was there. My fingers trembled as I looked at Sandy's contact in my phone. Does she think I'm dead? Is she okay? I quickly dialed her number and hit call. Excitement filled my stomach as I heard the ring back tone. Sandy immediately picked up. "Greta oh my God! I've been calling and writing you for weeks and you haven't returned any of my calls or letters, I was so close to flying out there and making sure you were okay myself"! Just hearing her voice made me feel so much more safe and reassured. But hearing the worry and franticness made me angry. Angry at him. Sandy never acted like that. I was always the high strung one. Tears found their way down my cheeks. I refused to let Sandy hear the quiver in my voice. It would only worry her more.

I squeezed my eyes shut to hold back the rest of the tears. "Sandy I'm so sorry, the phone lines were damaged in a bad storm, I thought I wrote you a letter about it". I lied. Right through my teeth. I hated not telling her the real reason why I couldn't call her but I figured I'd explain everything truthfully once I got back home.

Sandy seemed to believe my story. "So did Cole ever write you that letter"? Worry was still threaded in her voice. A cold chill ran down my spine. "Nope". Another lie. "Even if he did I wouldn't have read it". Sandy chuckled, "I know. It's odd though because he hasn't been by the house since that day- not that it's a bad thing it's just weird since he's been obsessed with you since you broke things off". I cleared my throat. "Eh, maybe he gave up". Sandy didn't like that response. "Greta you're acting strange. You're terrified of Cole. How do you not see anything weird by him not contacting either of us"? Panic rose up my throat. I couldn't tell her. I won't. "I suppose my time alone here in the woods taught me that life is too short to cower from someone forever. I have to move on". Sandy snickered. "Too much Emerson" she breathed into the phone. I rolled my eyes. Emerson was one of my favorite authors. "So when will you be home, I bet you're going to miss that place since you've been there for so long" Sandy stated.

I bit my lip. If only she really knew. "Well, this week is my last week. The Heelshire's should be home in two days maximum". Sandy squealed in excitement, "I miss you so much"! I nodded my head in agreement as if she was beside me. "I miss you too".

I glanced down at my purse. I could easily buy a plane ticket with the money I have, but I need to get cleaned up first. "Sandy, I uh gotta go. But I'll call you when I get to the airport". Sandy seemed upset but gave an "okay, be careful". I hated to end our conversation, but I was still not in the clear yet.

I spotted a drug store at the corner of the block. I'm sure they had some soap I could purchase, and then I could wash up there. I'd have to buy a completely new outfit as well since I left all of my clothes back at the house and I refuse to ever go back there for any reason.