𝐀 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐧

Chapter Three — 𝐀 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐧

"Hands filled with the bloom of desire, hands in which one feels a dagger never seen, hands in which one can see an intangible scepter;"

— Delmira Agustini, from Selected Poetry: Poetics of Eros; My Loves.

"Are you going to tell me more about being a skinwalker?" Leah asked, taking a seat next to me

"The tribes all have a well-kept secret of being shape shifters or skin walkers depending on who you ask. They are a collection of black bears, hawks, eagles, mountain lions, wolverines, crows, owls and wolves." I answered.

"The wolves possess the highest numbers between all of the tribes and the reasons behind that are just as varying; depending on who you ask." I said.

"Skinwalkers are people that possess the ability to shapeshift into any animal at will. They are often referred to as medicine men, witches or yee naaldooshii, which translates to "with it, he goes on all fours."  They typically transform into wolves, coyotes, owls, foxes, or crows, but they can turn into any animal who is native to their region. But Skinwalkers are only women which is by you phased since you inherited the gene from both side of your family. In a rare form of shapeshifter can also possess the ability to "to steal the face" or shapeshift into another person." I said.

"So you're saying that I can transform into any animal or person I want?" Leah asked.

"Yes, but it's not as easy as you think you have to study the animal or person you want to transform into. You have to allow your body to share that space with whom you want to transform into." I answered.

"Will you teach me?" Leah asked.

"I'll teach you everything I know, Leah." I replied, smiling at her.

"I'm glad you're back." She said.

"Me too." I said.

"There's something I want to ask you, Thea." She said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Can we have children?" Leah asked.

"Yes, but it won't be easy, Leah, you have to be control of your shift." I answered.

"Which means I have to stop phasing to have children." She said.

"Yes, but not for a long time. If you can go a month or two without phasing then you can have children but that also means you have to let go of the pain and anger that you have within you, Leah." I said.

"It's not easy." She said.

"I know." I said.