𝐀 𝐖𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈𝐟𝐬

Chapter Twelve — 𝐀 𝐖𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈𝐟𝐬

This is our life; there's no use in asking what if. No one could ever give you the answers. I try, I really do, but it's hard for me to accept this way of thinking. I'm always wondering about the what-ifs, about the road not taken.
—Jenny Han, To All the Boys I've Loved Before

"I knew you would be visiting soon." Eleazar said as he opened the front door before I could knock on it.

I smiled.

"You know me so well, Eleazar." I said as he let me into the house.

Carmen greeted me with a hug and I waved to everyone else. I noticed one person was missing.

"Where's Irina?" I asked.

"She's still upset about Laurent." Tanya answered.

"What happened to Laurent?" I asked.

"The Cullens didn't tell you?" Kate replied.

I shook my head no.

"He was killed by the shape-shifters because he attempted to kill Bella for her blood." Carmen said.

"Oh, well then I guess she won't be around for a while then." I said.

"She just needs time." Tanya said.

"So, what brings you here?" Eleazar asked.

"Eleazar, you know everything when it comes to the Volturi, right? You used to be one of them." I answered.

Eleazar nodded.

"Yes, why?" He asked.

"What would happen if they found that Bella didn't come back a vampire?" I asked.

"They would declare war on the Cullens." Eleazar answered.

"Is Bella still not a vampire?" Carmen asked.

I shook my head no.

"No, things had become complicated during their honeymoon and Bella returned home, pregnant." I replied.

"Impossible." Eleazar said, refusing to believe anything I said.

"Eleazar, I would never lie to you, any of you. Bella and Edward are expecting a half immortal, half human hybrid baby but the thing is that Bella does not wish to be a vampire anymore or at least for right now." I said.

"We need to go see the Cullens." Carmen said.

"This is where things get a little more complicated." I said.

"What happened?" Tanya asked.

"Bell's father, my uncle Charlie found out about vampires existence and basically took Bella away from the Cullens and now has her living on the tribe's land since the Cullens can't go on the tribe's territory." I answered.