We're Going to Be Okay

Chapter 37:

Alex POV:

I couldn't think straight. So I decided the next best possible option was to not think at all.

My head was still leaning against the pole that supported the roof of Louisa's front porch. I banged the back of it repeatedly, trying to think of other places in the world where Louisa could be. Except my stupid brain wasn't working. Hence the not thinking straight part.

I couldn't focus on finding her. I almost hopped back into Louisa's mom's car and started driving around town to see if I could find her, but my hands were shaking so violently I didn't think I'd be able to drive straight.

But I couldn't do nothing. After about two more seconds of sitting in front of Louisa's house, hoping, waiting, I decided I couldn't take it. I'd walk. I sprung up onto my feet, the blood rushing through my veins. Every part of my body was rushing with adrenaline and I felt it as I walked down the street.

Energy coursed through me as I broke into a jog. My eyes scanned everywhere they could possibly land on. They were searching for those electric eyes and her long, mousy hair. I practically memorized what she looked like head to toe. I could recognize her anywhere. She just had to be here, somewhere.

My breath came out in short bursts. It wasn't easy to be running in dress shoes and a suit. My fingers came up to my throat, finding the knot of my tie and loosening it so I could breathe a little easier. I focused my energy on making sure my breathing was even and that I was taking long, clean strides. The faster I could find her, the better. That meant I had to run fast too.

The sky cracked, and rain started pouring down on the street. I barely paid any attention to it. I kept running, my legs moving faster and faster. I needed to see if I could reach her.

"Alex!"

I whipped my head around, trying to figure out where the source of the sound came from. I looked to my left out on the street. The car that was next to me slowed to a stop, with the window open. I peered in and immediately let out the biggest breath of relief. It was Mae and Noah.

"Get in, dumbass!" Noah called. I didn't waste a second longer. There was no way in hell I was going to keep running on foot when searching for her would be much faster in a car. And Mae was driving, the seemingly most level-headed out of all of us. So we'd be safe at least.

Mae turned her head around to face me. "Any luck?"

I shook my head. Noah cursed beside me.

Then, it was as if fate looked down on me and decided to bless me with finally something good when my phone started to buzz.

My heart nearly did a somersault in my chest. My shaking hands fumbled for my phone that was hiding in the pocket of my slacks. They were shaking so horribly that as soon as I managed to get my hands on the case, I dropped it on the floor. I cursed, reaching my hand down into the gap between seats.

Finally, I managed to grab it securely. I turned the phone around to see the screen and I nearly dropped it for the second time once I saw who was calling.

Instead of doing another somersault, my stomach dropped straight to the floor. A wall of dread slammed into me as I looked at the caller ID. It wasn't Louisa.

It was Cora Burton.

I pressed the green icon to accept the call and held the phone up to my ear. "What do you want?"