Chapter 4

"Sweetheart, you need to wake up," the nurse gently whispered, waking the girl up pleasantly. Slowly the girl blinked, once again getting accustomed to the bright white light. "The principle will be here in 45 minutes, so if you feel well enough to have breakfast, you should have it now." The nurse's once jolly tone transformed into a grave one as she said the word 'principle', consequently striking fear into (Y/n's) heart.

Sighing she decided to dismiss the fear that was clawing at her heart, she was likely just reading into things and to be paranoid was never a good thing. "Please could I have some breakfast in that case?" She said cheerily hoping to return the grim atmosphere to the previous jolly one. The nurse handed her a bowl of cereal and left, to tend to a new patient.

Time seemed to go at an entirely different rate in the sick bay, likely due to the fact that their was nothing to do, all screens were banned, she had stupidly not packed a book and of course animals were strictly forbidden. The only thing to do was sleep. But as the (E/c) orbed girl finally began to drift off into sleep, she was awoken by loud, thudding footsteps.

A chair was pulled up next to her, creating a disgusting scratching noise as it travelled across the floor. Begrudgingly the girl pushed herself up into a sitting position. Next to her sat an oddly threatening man. He was dressed in an exceedingly prim, black, suit, he had dark grey hair that matched the colour of his optics perfectly, highlighting how much he had aged. He didn't have any of the cliche movie villain looks, no massive scar, no strangely large height, but his eyes. His eyes were so cold. Often you would compare grey eyes to silver. But his eyes were like rusted metal, they were also oddly devoid of all emotion.

"Mr Lane." He stated, extending a hand to the frightened girl. Slowly and cautiously she took it, she was tempted to introduce herself, but she was aware that he already knew who she was. "I do not often talk to students one on one, but you are an exception." He paused, only increasing the terror in the poor girls heart. "Yesterday you missed one of the most important Rosewood traditions, the sorting ceremony," at this point the girl had to stifle a laugh, despite how terrified she was of this man, her father screaming about Harry Potter always entered her mind at the mention of a 'sorting ceremony'.

"You can not join a house after the ceremony, as this is unfair on everyone. As you probably know the sorting ceremony is a sort of popularity competition and for every competition there is a prize. In this case the winning house receives benefits, such as the end of year festival being based off and celebrating their house, an extra four percent being added to all their tests and the house leader getting the biggest and best room in the house leaders suite." The girl began to take in the new information, no wander Elise and Marta were trying to get her to join their houses!

"I assume that you understand that it would be completely unfair for you to make a decision later, as it would be based off other things than the pitch." He said patronisingly, to which (Y/n) simply responded with a nod.

"However I must warn you that many people are very angry at you, you see for only the second time in history an even split among all the houses has occurred, this results in the festival being called off and no one getting extra marks. At this school winning is everything and if you do not win why would you be rewarded? As much as everyone wants these rewards for themselves, they would rather someone get them than no one and you not attending the ceremony has resulted in this. If I was you I would attend some self defence classes, as no one will defend a houseless person especially one they do not know from previous years. It's been nice talking to you (Y/n), but I really must warn you, whatever happens in Rosewood, stays in Rosewood and if you try and break that rule the consequences will be... lamentable. Our school has a reputation to uphold and if you do anything that will lower it, then as I previously said you will face the consequences." He said staring at the frightened girl maliciously, not letting his iron optics relax for one second. Suddenly he got up, swiftly grabbed his coat and firmly called out to her "You will be in lessons tomorrow, whether the nurse likes it or not." He then proceeded to storm away, not even sparing a second glance at the (H/c) haired girl.

'Consequences,' that word caused a shiver to travel down the petrified girl's spine. Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to attend Rosewood. But she could always just avoid that scary man, he was probably just over exaggerating how everyone would behave towards her. It was understandable that people would be annoyed at her, she had cost them their festival, but she wasn't going to be needing self defence classes, a lot of the people here were probably to posh to fight. She chuckled to herself, the principle was clearly a sadistic man, who enjoyed instilling fear into the hearts of people. But she would not let him bother her. She wouldn't let anyone bother her, she would simply work hard, get her A levels and get out of Rosewood. If the academy really was as bad as it was being made out to be then she could always move back to her old school, take three or four A levels, be with her old friends, stay at her house and just relax. Sure she might not seem as employable as she would with ten A levels, but she would not sit around and be abused. She was worth more than that and although she didn't see herself as particularly amazing in any department she still knew that she did not deserve to be attacked by anyone.