Gameday

2 weeks later

Beth's POV:
Today is game day, my favourite day of the week! We're playing against Manchester United Women and I am really looking forward to the game. I have been trying extra hard on training to prove that I deserve to be in the starting 11, Daan on the other hand has been a bit unfocused. I told her that if she wouldn't play good on training, she won't be in the starting 11, but she brushed it off. I do hope that she will be playing, she loves it.

My alarm went off at 7:00 since we had to be at the club at 8:15. Luckily Leah, Jordan and I have a very organised routine on game days so we were there at 8:00. Apparently we're the first one to arrive, we're even earlier then Joe. Leah and Jordan have been a little less close lately then usual, which is confusing, but I always learned to mind my own business, so I'll just let them figure out their problems by themselves. We put on our boots and shin guards and get on the field so we can practice some tricks before the rest of the squad comes.
*after training*
Training went pretty well, now we've got a team meeting and after that another quick training and then we're off to Manchester. We are walking into the team meeting room and sit down. Daan sits next to me and I give her a quick smile. She looks a little bit concerned? I look around and see Leah and Jordan sitting on the same row but with 3 chairs in between them. What is going on between those two? I thought they were the best of buddies? They have been acting so weird the last two weeks. We quickly go through some tactics and then Joe is reading the starting 11 list:
"So we've got Zinsberger in goal, then defence: Maier, Williamson, Beattie and McCabe, midfield: Little, Roord, Nobbs and Evans, then forward: Mead and Miedema." Yes, I'm playing! But Daan is not....
I look to my left to see Daan sitting with her elbows on her knees and her chin leaning on her hands.
"And the substitutions: Mitchell, van de Donk, Quinn, Schnaderbeck, Grant, Filis and Peyraud-Magnin." Joe finishes.
I know that Daan is upset, but she'll try and hide it. I, again, look to my left to see, to my suprise, an empty chair. I look around, but I can't see Daan. Everybody has already gotten up from their seats and is now walking to the cafeteria because it's lunch time. I follow the group, hoping that I will find Daan at the cafeteria. But she's not there. I still cannot find her, even after I searched the entire building. Daan, where the heck are you?! I'm starting to get a bit worried. Then I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around, hoping to see Daan, but see Viv.
"Have you checked the field yet?" She says with a wink before I can say anything. I quickly thank her and run to the training ground. Viv was right; on the very end of the field I can see a little brunette figure shooting balls in the goal angrily. I start walking, but that soon turns into running. When I am 4 feet away from her, she turns around and says:
"I always do this when I'm not in the starting squad, it helps me calm down and be happy for the other players."
"I wish you would've told me that earlier, then I wouldn't have been so worried about you." I say before pulling her in for a hug.
"Well now you know where to find me next time." She says while hugging back.
"Let's go back and have some lunch, okay?" I ask while pulling away.
She nods and we walk back to the training centre.

After lunch and the short training session.

Daan's POV:
We are all getting in the bus, preparing for a 3 hour and 32 minutes bus drive. Some people are listening to music, some are on their phone, some are chatting. Beff and I are sitting together with Viv and Lisa on one of the two seats with a table. Usually Leah and Jordan sit with us, but now I can see that Leah is sitting with Manu (Manuela Zinsberger) and Jordan with Lia. What is going on with those two? They always sit together in the bus. I am on my phone, scrolling through Instagram with my legs on top of Beff's legs, while Beff is talking to Viv and Lisa. After a while I can feel Beff moving my legs off hers.
"What are you doing?" I ask, sad that she moved my legs.
"Just going to check on Lee and Jord. They've been acting weird." She says before getting up.
"I've noticed too, but please, just let them be. They'll figure it out on their own! And I don't want to be rude, but I don't think that they'll appreciate your help too much. You know how they are, they figure thing out on their own and will only come to you when in desperate need." I say, trying to save Leah and Jordan from Beff's interrogation.
"Thank you for trusting me in these situations", she says sarcastically, "but I think they could need some help." She says before walking away.