Chapter 44

(Christian's Pov)

We have been at the hospital for 4 days now. Phoebe's condition has remained the same. I haven't left the hospital once, even though Ana has practically begged. I took a shower yesterday in the en-suite bathroom. The only time I have left the room was when they gave Phoebe a sponge bath.

Teddy and Ana have been here with me too. The family has been coming in rounds. Nathan has been here every day after school. The poor kid feels like everything is his fault.
Mia and Ethan just left and now it is just Ana and I with her. Teddy took Ava to lunch and to spend some time with her. Elliot and Kate asked him if he could have a heart to heart with her. Since Ava came to see Phoebe she has been really down. I think it was the ventilator that scared Ava the most. I tried to explain that it was just helping her breath, but Ava was terrified for her cousin.

I text Teddy to make sure he is okay and he responds immediately that he is fine and trying to get Ava to talk. Ava and Ted are almost as close as Phoebe and Ted.

I look up and see Ana stroking her hand. They have switched the big mummy cast from the glass cuts to just a bandage. Her face has gone from black bruises to now purple and green bruises. The swelling has also gone down a lot. The cast on her wrist is going to have to stay on for 6-7 weeks. Her broken ribs are also going to have to heal for multiple weeks. Part of me is happy Phoebe will never have to see herself the way we did.
I can see Ana is slowly starting to break down. Her eyes are tired and she isn't her usual self. I am sitting on the other side of Phoebe watching her and Ana. The two women in my life that make my world go round.

I talked to Flynn last night on the phone and asked about ways to help Ana. It kills me seeing her upset. He said to keep things light and talk about good times with Phoebe.

"Do you remember when Phoebe and Teddy got in trouble for the first time when Gail was babysitting?" I remind Ana of a time that now we always talk and laugh about.

"Are you referring to the red paint incident?" she asks smiling, for the first time in awhile, at the memory.
Ana nods and we start talking about that day. Boy, what a day it was. The first time those two got in huge trouble together. Little did we know it was only the beginning.

(FLASHBACK Phoebe 6 Teddy 9)

Ana and I are going sailing for the day. Gail agreed to watch the kids while we went out. I trust Gail with the kids no problem.

Right now we are all sitting at breakfast. Teddy is talking our ears off about how his class is going to the zoo on Monday. Phoebe, on the other hand, is sulking in her chair next to me picking at her food.

Phoebe is upset that we are leaving today. Apparently, she was planning a tea party for today that I can now not attend. This was her new trick.

Whenever Ana or I would try and leave she would say that there was a 'big tea party meeting that we can't miss.' She got this from hearing me turn down Ana's offer for lunch one morning because I had a meeting I couldn't miss.

"Bubs eat your food," I say sternly trying not to feed into her antics. Even though I wanted to just pick her up and cuddle her all better.

Phoebe slowly eats a couple bites of pancakes. I check my watch and see that we need to leave.

"Okay kiddos Mommy and I need to go now. Be good for Ms. Gail or else there will be no dessert tonight." I kiss Teddy's head while Phoebe gives Ana a hug and kiss.

She is the angriest at me because I was the one who told her we were leaving, so it is my fault, not Ana's. The mindset of a six-year-old. I lean down and kiss Phoebe's head. She doesn't look up or even acknowledges me. When she is upset she will try and do this to see if it will change anything. I take the advice my mom gave me and walk away ignoring the bad behavior.