Chapter 45

(Phoebe's Pov)

I wake up to people talking around me. I rub my eyes and finally see what is happening. The doctor is in my room again talking to my mom and dad. Teddy is here what? I didn't see him when I fell asleep on my shoulder this morning.

Teddy is the first to notice I am awake. "Bubs," He says and rushes over to me. He kisses my head and hugs me the best he can. I groan in pain when he pushes against my ribs. "Be careful Theodore," My dad scolds.

"It's fine." I croak out. Both my parents come and surround me. The doctor stands at the end of the bed looking through my chart. When did he come in?

"Phoebe, how is the pain? Has it gotten any better since you woke up?" He asks and I think about it.

"My head and ribs still hurt, but it is not as bad as before." He writes something on the chart and nods.
"Phoebe I am going to check some things okay?" I nod and start to feel nervous. Teddy picks up my hand from the bed and squeezes it. I smile over, but he is staring at the doctor.
The doctor shines a light in my eyes and tells me to follow it. I go back and forth, up and down. Next, he puts his stethoscope on different places and tells me to breathe. Taking really deep breaths hurts my ribs, but I suffer through.

"Okay, Phoebe everything checks out. Why it hurts to breathe is because you broke two ribs. It will get easier as the rib heals. We will be keeping some ice on it and that will help. Your skull fracture is healing too, so we will be watching that over the next couple of days. Do you have any questions?"

"When can I get this cast off?" I lift up my right arm. I don't even know what I broke.

"You broke your wrist, but luckily it was a clean break. So, I would say about 6 to 7 weeks," He says.

"When can I go home?" He sighs, it is like he was expecting this question.
"Phoebe you are in a very delicate state right now especially since you just woke up. I would say we can aim for the end of the week. We also will be moving you into a different room, since you do not have to be in the ICU anymore." I nod and try to sit up a bit more.

After the doctor leaves we are left in complete silence. I clear my throat and look down at my hands. I wonder how Nathan is, he was probably so worried. I know I am probably in trouble for taking the car and crashing it.

I look up to see all eyes on me. Teddy, Mom, and Dad are all just sitting watching me. "Hi," I mumble. It is all I can think to say at this point.

"Hi baby girl we are so glad that you are awake," Wait how long was I out for the ball was just last night.
"What do you mean your glad I am awake?" I ask and my mom looks to my dad.

"Phoebe, what do you remember?" She asks and I think hard.

"Last night we went to the ball and I took the car. Somebody ran a red light and hit me." I shrug and my mom looks anxious. "What don't I know?" I ask and look at the three of them.
"Phoebe… the ball was four nights ago." What is that possible? "You were put in an induced coma because of the bleeding and swelling in your brain." My dad says and he looks so hurt. Tears start to come out of my eyes. I put my family through hell over a basketball game.

"I-I-I am so sorry." Is all I can say before the sobs take over. My mom rushes to me and strokes my hair. Teddy picks up my hand and holds it tightly. My dad just stays in his chair staring at me.

"Daddy I-" he holds up his hand and shakes his head. "Phoebe we will talk about this later. For now, you need to focus on getting better," he says sternly. At that moment, I knew I hurt him.

A knock on the door awakes us all from our deep conversation. "Hi I am Camden, I'm here to move Phoebe into her new room. Phoebe, we will move your bed, the rest of you guys can meet us up there. Her new room is on the 10th floor. Room H.10.21," the young guy around Teddy's age says.