A Sisters Duty

*6 years later*

Almost 6 years have been past when Fiona and her family moved to the USA and made a living in New Orleans. But nothing did go like planned. Her father died on the battlefield and her father's relatives kicked them out because they thought that they don't need to keep a promise with a dead person. They only wanted to take Fiona in, because she did look more like her father than her mother. Also, the parents of her father didn't welcome them with open arms and had a big dislike against her mother. They gave her mother the fault that she seduced their son and killed him. What is not true. Fiona didn't want to stay there and left with her mother and siblings the house of her grandparents. The red-haired girl didn't understand how her own grandparents could be so cold to their daughter-in-law. Fiona also was still 9 years old when her father died and the only thing she got from him was his golden pen. Her mother did her best and worked in a small tailor shop. They just had enough money for food and the rent. Her brother wasn't happy about that. Erik was angry that he didn't get any presents for his birthday or Christmas. He also screamed at his mother and throw things at her. Fiona had to step in before it got worse. Emma was crying because of the screaming and yelling. It really was a hard time for the little family which has lost their father and husband in the war. Her mother later married a rich man who was a famous judge and a strict catholic man. Her mother just wanted the best for her children, that's why she agreed to marry him. Fiona would have been 12 years old in December after her mother remarried in March. The man was 23 years older than her mother and he had her in his hands.

Fiona was forced to leave her 'new home' to study in a Catholic Girls School. It was the duty of a good daughter to be an example for her younger siblings. Her now 10 years older brother was going to a Boys School and their 7-year-old sister was homeschooled. After school, Erik could always go home after classes but Fiona had to stay and share a room with another girl from her school. She could only visit her family every 2nd weekend and also on holidays. Every time she gets home her mother acts strange and has many bruises on her arms and neck. When she asks her what happened her mother only says that she did trip over her own feet and fall down. But Fiona was sure that her mother was never clumsy. The green-eyed girl had a bad feeling about it but also did stop asking before her mother does maybe break down in tears. The relationship between her and her stepfather is cold and distant. She and her siblings are happy not to see him. Also, he often goes to parties at the weekends and drags her mother with him. Her mother doesn't want to go but he always gets her to change her mind. When they did come home her mother was drunk and her clothes all torn. Her stepfather was drunken too and his pants unbuttoned. He also got aggressive when he was drunk and hit her mother with his belt if she didn't stop crying. He also did hit Erik and Emma if they got in his way, what annoyed him, or were crying. Fiona did try to protect her siblings from the hits and still does smile so her brother and sister don't feel guilty for her.

The bell of the church was ringing and the church service was now over. The girls of her school were happy that it was over and that they could spend their Christmas at home with their families. Fiona was the last one who left the church. She carefully watched the happy and cheerful faces of the other girls. She maybe would see them in the next year. Fiona smiled and was happy to see her mother and siblings again, but the happiness was overshadowed by the thought that her stepfather was also there. "I will make the best of it.", she thought to herself and walked over the snowy path from the St. Louis Cathedral to her School. She loved the sound under her feet when she walked over the snow. It gave her some freedom. But then she heard a scream and walked in the direction where it did come from. A young man in his mid-20s slipped over the ice on the street and some of the papers he was carrying flew around. Some of the women did chuckle about this and some men just did shake their heads or make rude remarks. Fiona was walking to the young man who was cursing to himself. She helped him to pick up the documents. "It's not necessary, Miss.", the brown-haired man said to her. She could tell that he was embarrassed but still she was helping him and handing the papers over to him. "Why not? Everyone does deserve a helping hand.", she said smiling at him and then he looked into her pale beautiful face with those mesmerizing emerald green eyes. "Thank you.", was his reply after he stood up and took the papers from her delicate hands. "Maybe we see each other again.", she said cheerfully before she left and walked to the dorm where her room was. She still needs to pack her things to go back home. Her mother wrote in her letter that there will be a large Christmas Party at their home. Many rich, famous, powerful men and women will join the party. Reporters and radio hosts will join the celebration. The young Lady wasn't happy about this kind of good news and already wanted to stay the whole celebration in her room while reading some books and listening to some music. After she arrived in her room she did pack some clothes, her school books and also the presents she did buy for her siblings.