what even is this anymore

I remained immobilized in Rian's hold. It wasn't that great when sharp claws were getting close to tearing your own flesh out. I got irritated because on top of it all I dropped my axe and stuff.

"Look, we don't wanna hurt you or your master, but—"

"Shut up." The fox boy hissed at me and I just sulked. This guy's just like Nathan!

"Let her go." Nathan growled, and the witch under his foot just kept struggling to get away.

"Kill him, you miserable brat! Kill him and the girl!"

I saw something flash on the witch's right wrist. It looked like a transparent chain tied around her, and just before I could see where it led it disappeared.

What was that?

I felt Rian's claws grazing against me, and my heart beat fast with inner terror. Nathan, hurry up already!

"You better do as I say. I'll kill her if you don't let my master go."

"Tch." Nathan looked at me, and I mouthed "No. Don't do it."

He did it anyway. Completely the opposite of what I wanted him to do.

Shit.

He let his foot go from the witch and the old hag cackled, her hand glowing green again. "And now, you're going to die!"

I reacted at once and elbowed Rian on the chest. While he was distracted I ran over to the witch, grabbing her by the flimsy black dress of hers. She turned her hand at me by default.

"You're first!" She shot out her lightning before Nathan could run over to me. A huge explosion echoed around in the forest, making this ugly dent on the spot.

Nathan's POV  (yeah again)

I shielded my eyes from the dust and smoke that flew everywhere. That stupid little midget! Did she just... kill herself?

I felt the fear creep in. No, it couldn't be. She can't die. She's too much of an idiot.

And plus, her grandma's gonna kill me.

The smoke cleared away. I heard a loud clinking of metal from beside me, and I saw chains I've never seen before drop down onto the ground. That fox kid looked surprised for some reason.

I looked at where it exploded. There was Red, still in one piece. She was holding onto the witch's wrist and her axe in the other hand. Both were covered in soot.

"Blegh. That sucked." She coughed out, and let go of the weakened witch. She just looked at me with the same neutral face she always had.

"What?"

Was this... what relief really felt like?

I didn't say anything. I just walked straight up to her and took her into my arms, ignoring her protests.

"Uh... Nathan? You okay over there?"

"Don't ever do that again. I'm serious." I mustered in the most villainous tone ever. She just nodded on my shoulder.

"Whatever floats your boat. Can you, uh, let me go now though?"

And I did. I didn't make any eye contact while that happened. That was the most embarrassing shit I've ever done in my life, period.

That fox kid just stared at the midget, and honestly than was beginning to bother me. What the hell did this kid want with her?

"You... you set me free..." He said. I looked over to Red, and she shrugged at us.