Letter Ten

May 2018

Dear Heath,

Dean said it was okay for you to stay at our house when you visit. I've got the room all cleaned up, but I'm sure I'll have to vacuum again the night before you actually arrive. I really wish that you could meet Valerie. But, as it turns out, we aren't on speaking terms at the moment. That's probably why I've been acting weird because I'm sure you've noticed. You notice everything. Guess it comes with your job?

Prom was last night. That's one night I'd like to bleach my brain of. Definitely a point of high school I wouldn't miss. Riley was...cordial. The first part of the night. By the end of the dance, he was out getting his jig on with Macey and some other girls while I was stuck with this sleezy freshman with frisky hands and greasy hair. I did get a picture, though. I'm finally giving you the picture of the State Championship along with it too.

Jess is cranky these days with all of her mood swings and morning sickness. I should be more supportive, huh? I'm just glad that high school is almost over. And I honestly can't wait until you get here. Then you only have a few more months and then you get to come back to the states!

I hope you're as excited as I am.

Yours,

Priscilla

~X~X~X~X~

June 2018

"Hi Valerie...um, I just wanted to say congrats that we both got to finally graduate and that I hope you do well in LA," I pace in my room probably holding my cell phone too tight.

"And, um, you don't have to call me back, I know the last time we talked was left on really bad terms. I know that you and Riley have gotten pretty serious, huh? I'm glad that worked out. If you had told me you liked him before...I don't know. I admit I did like him before but when we were at that party, I realized I didn't like him. You didn't have to get me drunk just to get back at me or make me realize anything. I think that's what made me really angry when we last talked a few weeks ago. But I forgive you and I hope you can forgive me...Bye Valerie."

~X~X~X~X~

"Thanks for helping out tonight, sweetie," Jess says and hands me a tray full of food. We're at her restaurant named CACHéE, the nicest place to eat in Connecticut. I decided to work more nights after graduation since Jess could use all the help she could get. She'd been getting slower these days, not along enough in her pregnancy to show a bump or anything, but she was still tired all the time.

So there I was, in black pencil skirt and a white button down blouse carrying a tray full of salads to some snooty millionaires.

At least they tipped well.

I had been making runs from the kitchen and taking orders all night, and just as we were about to close, someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hi, can I help you?" I asked the petite girl as I put down the pitcher of water.

"Priscilla right? I couldn't help but notice the Baylor hairpin you have on!" the blond pointed to the hairpin I got while visiting the student store with Dean on our tour of the campus.

"Oh, yeah, are you going to Baylor?"

"I'll be a sophomore in the fall. I'm an engineer major," the girl said and cocked her head to the side, "You're going to be a freshman?"

"Yep. I got in on a volleyball scholarship, but other than that I'm an education major," I say and check to make sure Jess wouldn't jump out and yell at me for being distracted.

"I'm Lizzie, by the way."

"Priscilla ."

"Well, Priscilla, maybe I'll see you around campus, yeah?"

I smile at her, she seemed genuinely nice, "Definitely."

~X~X~X~X~X~

"Hey P!"

"You packing right now?"

"You know it," Heath says and I hear some guys talking in the background, "I need a break from this place. The guys are great and all, but they make me want to pull out my hair."

"They're like your brothers though," I smile and remember the time he called me after someone bombed their camp. He was frantic, saying he almost let his company down. We had a heart to heart talk that night and it made me feel even closer to him than ever.

"Yeah, smelly and annoying as hell, though."

I laugh and pick up the envelope.

"I just got your letter, by the way," I weigh it in my hands, "Heavier than your usual letters. Did Rebecca leave me a letter too?"

"Nah, I sent you a gift...I thought it was only fair since you sent me those pictures," I heard him cough and clear his throat.

"You're not getting sick are you?"

"Huh? No, no, no. Go on. Open the letter?"

I hum in response and rip open the envelope. I reach in to pull out the letter when cold metal falls into my hands.

I gasp in surprise when I see the dog tags from the picture in my hand.

"Heath, you gave me your dog tags?" I ask in surprise, staring at his name engraved in the metal along with his birthdate, religion, blood type, and social security.

"Yeah, I want you to keep it until I get there."

"You're so stupid! What if something happens before you get here? I can't..." I say but clutch the dog tags in my hands as hard as possible.

"Nothing will happen. I want you to keep it."

"You're crazy."

"Maybe."

"We've got another week."

"Counting down the hours."

"I'll look for you in the airport."

"I'll be the one in uniform."

"I'll be the one with your dog tags on."

"I'm looking forward to it."