Letter Nineteen

June 2018

Cabin Part Two

After hanging around the bonfire last night we had all gathered in the game room in the basement to watch movies. I made sure in advanced that we had no war movies just in case Valerie or Riley  had the urge for action and guns-a-blazing.

I had Googled Post Traumatic Stress Disorder before Heath had arrived just in case he went into shock. Anything and everything could trigger PTSD in war veterans and I didn't want to take any chances when Heath came to stay with me. I had watched enough World War One movies on the affects of Trench Warfare and their toll on soldiers since it was a new war tactic back then. To think Heath could possibly end up with one of those severe cases when he came back to me after a deployment was terrifying. It was already hard for him to adapt to life today.

So, I spent the rest of the night holding my soldier tight to me as I sat in his lap on the floor. Riley and Valerie took the couch, and though there was an occasional awkward, tense moment, we were all able to get along and crack a joke. Riley was his usual jovial self, not as perplexed as he was at first when Heath arrived. If anything, Heath was the more territorial one and would stop at nothing to claim me as his in front of him no matter how many times I assured him that Riley and my feelings towards each other were mutual.

I guess that's why I was glad to take a break from being around Valerie and Riley for the day since my idea of camping appealed to Heath.

Because he wants to be alone. With. Me.

I had to bite my knuckles to hold in the squeal. And to reign in dirty thoughts.

Don't go there, P.

"I have the tent!" Heath says making a beeline for me as I wait outside next to our backpacks and the smaller food cooler.

"Let's load the boat," I say as Heath helps load things into the small wooden boat that Dean and his buddies built one summer years ago.

I ogle his flexing biceps as he does this and remind myself to breathe.

Get a grip, honestly.

I tell my conscience to screw itself and ogle my boyfriend some more. Heath notices my stares and sends a smirk my way as he flexes once more to place the cooler into the boat.

"See something you like?"

I lick my lips and nod, feeling my blush creeping up as I try to gain confidence, "Uh huh."

Heath wraps his arms around my waist and hoists me up to his height to place a kiss on my lips, tickling my ribs in the process like he did at the tree house, making me laugh against his lips.

He puts me down eventually and helps me into the boat like the chivalrous man he is.

"You sure you don't want me to help pedal?" I ask as I watch Heath steers us to the large expanse of the opposite side of the lake so that the cabin is engulfed by water on the horizon.

"Maybe when we start to head back," Heath suggests winking at me, "Right now I just feel like I haven't been able to do anything for you on this trip."

"You do enough just by being here," I say to him and trace his name on the dog tags.

Heath eyes the chain around my neck with a slight smile that seems filled with a bit of happiness and a bit of sadness.

"We only have ten days left," I say morosely.

Heath pulls the oars in and cups my face in his hands, "We'll make the most of our time."