Letter Fourteen

June 2018

"Here's your room," I say, leading Heath towards the guest room.

"I could just sleep on the couch, ya know. I don't want to impose," Heath says sheepishly.

He would act like this, sometimes, even in his letters. He would clam up and suddenly become detached as if he was waiting for something to go wrong. Whether he was confiding in me about how the guys in his company hate him for this and that or if he was self deprecating in some other way, he would act like his old self from the very first letter. Cold and rude. One time he even questioned my motives for still communicating with him, again. Those moments hurt the most.

I open the door to the room and literally push him in, my hands lingering on his back, "You aren't imposing and I want you to be comfortable on your break. You are nowhere near a Marine base, which means no one cares if you don't fold extra blankets or make your bed. Hell, throw your clothes on the floor!"

He smiles at me warily and shrugs, taking off one of his socks and dropping it onto the floor.

"Happy?"

"Very."

"I'm sorry," Heath sighs and runs a hand through his hair, "It just all dawned on me: I'm actually here with you in Connecticut of all places."

He runs his fingertips up my arms and I realize just how close we're standing together.

Stupid, silly crush.

I swallow the lump in my throat and say, "I thought we said no awkward."

Heath laughs under his breath and steps back to look around the room.

"Right. But seriously, what's in Connecticut besides snow and you?"

I hide my blush by walking over to one of the drawers.

"You're right. It's pretty boring here. Oh, and here's the dresser where you can put your clothes and stuff in drawers. Just don't open the top drawer."

"Why? You got dead bodies in there?"

I turn around and glare at him, "Har har, Captain. How original."

"Just trying to keep it real. You make me feel old."

"You are old."

"Thanks for that," he walks up behind me and tugs on the chain around my neck, "You planning on keeping these dog tags or what?"

I smile up at him and shrug, "Their growing on me."

Heath sighs and says, "Guess I'll have to get new ones made."

I survey the room again one more time to make sure there aren't any dust bunnies or any too embarrassing photos.

"Well, I guess I'll see you in the morning, Captain," I say and bite my lip.

Heath nods and briefly presses his lips to my forehead before pulling away and saying, "Goodnight, Prom Queen."

~X~X~X~X~

Once I get out of the shower, I stuff the shoebox of letters back under my bed that I had earlier. I reflect on the events that happened today, starting with that light storm in the morning all up until that brief moment when Heath pressed his lips to my forehead.

I sigh heavily and pull back my covers, snuggling down under and stuffing my head into the pillows.

I was just about to nod off when I felt my phone vibrate next to my head on the dresser.

It was a text.

You still up? ~H

I bit my lip, imagining Heath in his bed just a floor below me, typing out words on his phone.

Yeah. Can't sleep. ~P

Me neither. Although I have some serious jet lag. ~H

You better get to sleep! I'm taking you somewhere tomorrow. ~P

Should I be scared? ~H

I promise it will be fun. Play some music; it always helps me go to sleep. ~P

Are you playing music right now? ~H

Just to spite him, I reach over onto my dresser and hit shuffle on one of my playlists, classical music emanating softly from the speakers.

Sure am. I'm starting to get sleepy. ~P

What kind of music? ~H

Classical. ~P

Yawwwwnnn. Oh look, even the mention of classical music puts me to sleep! ;) ~H

Goodnight, Captain! ~P

Night Priscilla. ~H