t w o

Alexandra stood between Hermione and Ginny as they looked at the small vials of love potions placed in front of them. Alexandra refused to touch them, but Hermione and Ginny each held one out of curiosity.

"Love potions, eh?" Fred and George asked in unison, startling the three girls.

"I didn't expect to find you here of all places," Fred said to Alexandra.

"I'm not sticking around," Alexandra joked. Fred smiled.

"You should. I'd like to see what a bottle of that can do."

"You wish."

"That, I do," Fred told her, leaving with his brother.

"He's certainly gained his confidence," Ginny laughed. "It's rather odd. I've always seen you as a sister, but never by wedlock."

"Let's go," Ron encouraged, dragging Harry, Hermione and Alex out of the shop while Ginny stayed behind to meet Dean Thomas.

Walking through Diagon Alley was nothing like it used to be. Darkness filled the town with most shops closing or being destroyed over the summer holiday. The only truly bright and colorful shop left was the joke shop.

"Look," Harry whispered, pushing everyone around a corner as he watched Draco and his mother closely. Alexandra tried to stop him from being so nosey, but he had a hunch he needed to follow.

Alexandra didn't feel good about following him, but she knew she couldn't get out of the situation without being questioned. Hermione noticed her friend was extremely uneasy, but, again, decided not to mention it.

"Who wears a suit to go shopping?" Ron asked quietly.

"A gentleman," Alexandra thought out loud, grabbing the attention of her friends. Offended, Ron scoffed.

"A gentleman," Ron mocked.

"Shut it," Harry warned. They all watched as Draco and Narcissa entered Borgin and Burke. Suddenly, a body blocked their view, forcing the group to duck down so they weren't spotted. Slowly, Harry peaked his head back up and sighed when he noticed the blinds were down and they could no longer see inside.

"What makes you think I'm not a gentleman? Or Harry?" Ron asked as the group retreated, still offended by Alexandra's earlier statement.

"I didn't say you weren't," she defended.

"Malfoy is a Death Eater, and you lot are arguing about who's more of a gentleman," Harry scoffed.

"We don't know he's one for sure, Harry," Hermione defended, not wanting Alex to dig a deeper hole for herself. If Harry and Ron got any more suspicious, they surely wouldn't leave her alone. Not wanting to argue, Harry gave up on the conversation.

The first of September arrived, and the students were thrilled to return to school. Despite the current war, the students felt a sense of safety at Hogwarts. Many students, however, did not return.

"Excuse me," a girl stated, knocking on the wall of the compartment. She held two letters in her hand, handing one to Harry and one to Alexandra before running away.

"Slug club?" Alexandra asked. "I've never even met the man."

"Wasn't he a professor when Tom attended Hogwarts?" Hermione asked. Alexandra nodded.

"Yes, but we never crossed paths," she explained. "Tom was a member of this club, though. Do you suppose he mentioned me?"

"I suppose you'll find out," Harry stated.

"Brilliant," Alex sighed, having no interest in this club.  "At least we'll suffer together."

"You're right about that," Harry laughed. The two said goodbye to their friends as they headed towards compartment C. Other than Harry and Alex, Ginny, Neville, Blaise Zabini, Marcus Belby and Cormac McLaggen were all in attendance.

Alex made eye contact with Slughorn, and his eyes widened slightly. This small interaction made her wonder if he knew who she was.

The meeting took forever as Slughorn went on and on about how lucky the lot was to be invited. He asked each individual to share their skills before 'letting go' of those who didn't show potential. Unfortunately, he had to 'let go' of Neville.

"Miss River, stay behind for a moment," Slughorn directed. Alex's friends grew concerned as they left her in the compartment, waiting outside until she returned. "This is your true time, I recon?" He asked. Alex froze.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said.

"Dumbledore informed me of your travels before I returned," Slughorn admitted. "Mr. Riddle had a growing interest in you. Your departure drove him mad, I'd say."

"It did?" She asked. He nodded.

"Love is weakness," he continued. "It was always something he was muttering to himself or scribbling down in that book of his. I believe one of the reasons he's done what he has is to feel a sensation powerful enough to distract him from the love he felt for you, Miss River."

"Are you saying it's my fault Tom became Voldemort?" Alexandra asked. Slughorn flinched, still not being able to hear that name aloud.

"I believe it is in part, yes," he admitted. "But I also believe you created his one and only weakness; a weakness that could very well destroy the monster he's become. You're greatly admired for your sacrifices."

"May I leave?" Alexandra asked, not wanting this conversation to go any further.

"Yes, yes, go on," Slughorn stuttered, afraid he had said the wrong thing or revealed information the girl was not meant to know. "I'll see you at the next meeting!"