n i n e t e e n

"Happy Birthday, Draco," Alexandra smiled. With the cabinet successfully mended, the two decided to focus on spending time together before the inevitable happens. To Alexandra it was her capture, but to Draco it was having to let her go. "Do you feel different? Now that the trace is gone?"

"Not really," he laughed.

"You know, I used to think people only grew on their birthdays," she explained, making him laugh again.

"Are you joking?"

"Not at all. I would only measure my height on each birthday, so all of the evidence was in my favor," she continued. "It wasn't until I arrived at the Burrow that Ron told me otherwise."

"Have I ever told you how brilliant you are?" Draco joked. "Pansy's been asking questions, you know."

"Of course she is. That girl is obsessed with you," Alex laughed.

"For good reason," Draco bragged, slightly puffing out his chest.

"If I hadn't known you prior to attending Hogwarts, I truly think I'd loathe you. You're a completely different person on the other side of this door," Alexandra admitted. "I hope one day you'll finally be able to be yourself. I'm sure everybody will love you."

"You'd loathe me?" Draco asked as if he was genuinely shocked.

"Would you blame me? You've been absolutely horrible to my friends in the past. I used to beat myself up thinking I was just as horrible for maintaining our friendship after every hex, every curse, every name-call, every-"

"Your point is clear," Draco sighed. "It's still boggling that you stuck by me all this time, especially now."

"Because I know the real Draco. I'm actually rather fond of him," she said, making him smile. "But he's trapped, and that's something I've grown to understand."

"You're blinded by love," Draco told her, knowing she was right, but not being able to admit it to himself. He's always been told that love is weakness, and weakness puts himself and his family in danger under the Dark Lord's hand. This room was the only place where he felt safe being his true self.

Alexandra raised her eyebrow with a slight smirk. "Who says I'm in love?"

"You're so in love!" Ginny protested later that night when Alexandra returned. Alexandra rolled her eyes. After being distant for so long and finally becoming comfortable with her roommates again, Alexandra had to admit she missed Ginny's endless gossiping. "And he's obviously in love with you."

"What makes it so obvious?" Alexandra asked.

"Just the way he looks at you," Ginny shrugged, not mentioning the few interactions he's had with Hermione recently. "I even saw him smile once. In public."

"There's actually something I'd like to talk to you both about. Where's Hermione? She should be back from her duties by now," Alex asked, not wanting to continue the conversation without her.

"The library," Ginny lied.

"Hello," Hermione greeted as if on cue. Alexandra looked down at her friend's hands and noticed there was nothing in them.

"You went to the library and didn't get a book?" Alex asked jokingly, but Hermione took it seriously.

"I was- um- I was returning one-"

"I'm only joking," Alexandra laughed. Hermione looked at Ginny before laughing awkwardly. "I was hoping I could talk to you about something. It's about Tom, actually."

"I thought he hasn't returned since you last saw him?" Hermione asked.

"He hasn't, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about the meetings leading up to his disappearance. They were odd, in a way," Alexandra admitted.