e i g h t

Alexandra walked rather quickly to her common room, wanting to return before curfew in order to avoid any extra questions. When she entered the room, she noticed her three friends chatting on the couch. When they noticed her, the conversation stopped. She saw Harry sliding something under his leg, and she knew right then that it was his map.

Alexandra scoffed, knowing they wouldn't have hid the map if they weren't watching her. Angrily, she walked up to her room with Hermione in tow.

"Alex, let us explain," she begged. Alexandra took off her robes, throwing them on her bed.

"Explain what, that you were watching me?"

"It was completely an accident. Harry was looking for Malfoy when he noticed you both disappear and reappear at different times in the same part of the castle. He thought you two had been leaving the castle together," Hermione rushed to explain. "I tried to convince him it was just a coincidence, but you know he's been a bit paranoid since we've returned."

"Does he think I'm a Death Eater, too, then?" Alex asked, obviously very annoyed and upset. "Since he's so convinced Draco is."

"Not exactly, but he thinks you know more about Malfoy than you've let on," Hermione explained as kindly as she could. "We all do, really."

"Well, I'm happy to know you all think so little of me," Alexandra frowned. Although she was angry, she didn't want Hermione to think she would betray her. In that moment, she decided it was time to tell the truth. "If you must know, his parents and mine have been friends since before either of us were born. Draco's family actually took care of me for a short time after my parents died. He was my best friend until I was sorted into this bloody house. When word got out that I became friends with you three, his father sent my bags straight to the orphanage and we were forced to pretend we never knew each other."

"Alex-"

"I know you think he's this horrible person, but he's human. He's all I have left from my life before Hogwarts. Excuse me for wanting to catch up with him."

"I don't understand. Why would you hide that from us all these years?"

"Why do you think?" Alex laughed. "You all think he's this monster, and you all assume that anyone who dares to interact with him must be a monster as well."

"We obviously don't think you're a monster, Alex," Hermione said softly, feeling extremely guilty.

"If you have to even question it, then you obviously do," Alex frowned. Hermione watched as her friend grabbed some clothes and stormed out of the room. She sighed, walking down the stairs to find the rest of her friends sinking in their seats.

"She was meeting with him," she confirmed. "But not for the reason you think."

"Why, then?"

"They're friends," Hermione started, explaining what Alex told her, careful to speak quietly so nobody else could hear. "Now, she's under the impression that we think she's a Death Eater."

"Brilliant," Ron thought out loud, sighing as he laid back into the couch. "Just brilliant."

"He's been nothing but a git to us all these years, and you expect us to forgive him because he's secretly friends with Alex?" Harry asked, not understanding his friends' guilt.

"I'm not saying we have to forgive him at all. I just think we should stay out of their business for the sake of our friend," Hermione stated. "She's on our side, Harry, you know that. I'm sure she would tell us if something was up with Malfoy. We just have to trust her."

"Like how she trusts us?" Harry scoffed. "If she trusted us, she would have said something years ago."

"Do you honestly blame her?" Ginny butted in, having been eves-dropping. "You see her with Malfoy once and assume the worst of her. That's exactly why she didn't tell you about him in the first place. You've known her for six years. Give her a chance, will you?"

Hermione and Ginny decided they were going
to go to bed, but not before discussing the topic of Malfoy and Alex further.

"In potions earlier, she mentioned smelling green apple," Hermione explained. "I swear I saw him slip one in his pocket when she mentioned it."

"The night of the Department of Mysteries when we got caught in Umbridge's office, he just let her go without a fight. I joked that he fancied her, but I really thought nothing of it," Ginny added. "Do you really think..."

"I don't know," Hermione sighed, thinking back to every detail she's taken note of over the years and finally stringing them together.

"If Harry is right, and Draco is a Death Eater," Ginny started. "How do we know he won't hurt her?"

"We don't."