t e n

"I can't believe it's almost Christmas," Alex smiled, sitting on the floor in front of Draco's chair as her back rested on the cushion between his legs. They sat before a fireplace, discussing their plans for the holidays. Draco would be staying in the castle to continue working on his task, but Alexandra would be spending the holidays with the Weasley's. "I don't suppose you'll join me for Slughorn's Christmas party tomorrow evening?"

"It'll be suspicious, don't you think?" Draco asked. He was aware of her friends' knowledge of their meetings, but his friends still didn't suspect a thing, and he'd like to keep it that way.

"I know it's suspicious," Alex frowned. "My only other option is Harry. He asked me earlier."

Draco rolled his eyes, disliking the idea of the two attending the party together. It was bad enough seeing them dance together at the Yule Ball two years ago.

"You should just go alone," Draco suggested. Alex laughed. "Or skip it and meet me here."

"What, are you jealous?" She asked. "I assure you, Harry and I are nothing more than friends."

"Your hair's gotten long," he pointed out, playing with the ends between his fingers. She took note in his quick change of subject and smiled to herself. "I like it."

"I got you a gift," Alex said eagerly, deciding now was a good time to bring it up. She pulled a small box out of her pocket and handed it to Draco. "They're cuff links for those suits you always wear nowadays."

The links were a matte black to blend in with the fabric of his suits, but each link held a dark grey inscription of his initials. She turned around to face the fire once again, knowing he wasn't going to react with her watching. He pulled her gift out of his own pocket, placing it around her neck while she was turned around. He connected the clasp before sitting back in his chair with a rather proud look on his face. Alexandra held the emerald pendant between her fingers with a smile.

"You're joking!" Hermione gasped, immediately noticing the necklace upon Alexandra's return. "It's gorgeous."

"I think I'm in love with him," Ginny joked, holding the pendant. "This must have costed him a fortune."

"So now you're supportive?" Alexandra joked. After Harry apologized, she realized that she wasn't going to waste time being angry at her friends, especially with the war going on.

"How bad did you want to snog him after he gave you this?" Ginny asked.

"That's entirely her business," Hermione argued, crossing her arms. Alexandra laughed, knowing her romance-obsessed friends have been patiently awaiting details that have yet to come. Putting the fact that they're talking about Draco Malfoy aside, Ginny and Hermione were rather excited that their friend could finally be in love.

"We're not meeting again until after the holidays," Alexandra told them, deflating their excitement.

"That's so long," Ginny whined.

"It's only a week," Alexandra laughed. "I still don't understand why you're being so supportive. Draco's been nothing but terrible to you both in the past. I told you all, it's alright if you don't like him."

"He's actually been rather indifferent to the lot of us recently, other than Harry for obvious reasons," Ginny admitted. "I don't think they'll ever leave each other alone."

Despite Harry's acceptance of Malfoy's friendship with Alex, that didn't stop him from expecting the worst from who he considered to be his enemy. After an incident where Katie Bell was cursed at Hogsmeade, Harry was quick to determine Draco had done it, even accusing him to his professors. McGonagall quickly shot him down, though, explaining that Malfoy has been in detention every night for refusing to do his homework. Still, that didn't stop Harry from tracking his every move.

"Did you know she's still meeting with Tom?" Harry asked Ron, noticing Alexandra had been visiting the Room of Requirement without Draco recently and connecting the dots himself. Ron shook his head.

"I thought you were going to put away that map," Ron pointed out, not liking that Harry was watching Alexandra.

"I don't mean to watch her. She's just... there."

"So are a million other people," Ron assured. "Just leave her alone, will you?"

"She's apparently known Malfoy longer than any of us," Harry argued. "How do we know-"

"She's on our side, Harry," Ron interrupted.

"He's not," Harry stated defensively. "She has a past with Tom Riddle. If Malfoy is a Death Eater, he could be working with Him in order to make her more vulnerable. Think about it. Why else would they become so close now rather than three years ago? Or two? It doesn't make sense."

"She's a brilliant witch. If something was wrong, she would know, and she would do something about it," Ron continued to defend. Alexandra was like family to him, and he truly did trust her. Harry did, however, make a good point.

"She's blinded by love," Harry frowned.

"You're blinded by hatred," Ron said sternly. "Harry, I hate the bloke as much as you do, but you're overreacting."

"You've heard everything he's said about you, your family, and Hermione. You've seen the people he hangs around with, and you know his father. He literally wrote a song to insult you and your family just last year, and- how can you think I'm overreacting?"

"I just think we should give them a chance, and stay out of their business," Ron suggested. "He's actually stayed out of ours this year. Maybe she's changed his attitude."

"He broke my nose!"

"In his defense, you were eaves-dropping, and that was before they started meeting," Ron concluded, standing up from his seat on the couch. "Don't give her a reason to hate us. That's when you should worry."