Chapter 14: Qualifiers I

World Cooking Grand Prix. Held by the World Gourmet Organization, it is an exclusive competition for members of top culinary institutions. Yes, institutions meaning that it could be an association, a school, or even a research facility. As long as it is an organization related to culinary, it's considered. 

However, it is a double-edged sword. It would also mean that regardless of who you cook for and whether or not your earnings are made of legal ways they will be allowed to enter this competition. If you walk the path of day or the path of night, you will be allowed to join. 

Despite all of this, I could really care less about what could happen. The cooking world's politics has never concerned me.  In this kind of setting, there are only two paths for any chef: defeat or victory. 

As the plane lands in Seoul, the luxury black sedans were waiting outside of the plane. Along with the other participants who were mostly third years and second years, we then entered the luxury sedan and headed into one of Tootsuki's hotels in Seoul. 

Tomorrow, we were going to battle. Regardless of who qualifies, as long as a representative was there, it would be a source of pride for the institution. Well, that's what most normal enthusiasts would think. However, I reject this way of thinking. 

A lie down on the bed of my hotel room and stare at the ceiling. Preparing now would be a futile attempt. I remained in my bed until I eventually fell asleep. 

It was 6:30 in the morning when I woke up. My body did not feel like moving at all. It wasn't that I felt sick or anything. I just felt very drained for some reason. 

Regardless, I walked to the bathroom, took a bath and brushed my teeth. There were simply somethings that I can't avoid but do. I then took out a clean Tootsuki uniform that I had in my luggage and wore it. I took my knife set and checked if everything was in perfect condition. 

Everything feels like a drag today. 

I exited my room and came to the hotel breakfast buffet. I took a few pieces of bread, a salad, a yogurt, and some fruit. I sat down and ate quietly. It felt very empty. Within the space, there were only a few businessmen who were either eating breakfast or drinking coffee while reading a newspaper. 

Somehow, I had gotten used to having a noisy breakfast with everyone back in the dorm. The way Aoki-san and Daigo-san would fight while Yoshino-san would try to break it up. Megumi would sometimes be half asleep while eating breakfast. The new addition, Yukihira, was just as loud as Yoshino-san. 

I shouldn't disturb them. They're probably preparing for the Autumn Election. 

As I continue to chew on my food, some of the third year representatives had come down the elevator and started eating with their own separate groups. As I finished my meal, I saw some desserts that had been on display. 

It tasted like a mochi. However, it was a crunchy version. Outside, it is crunchy but inside it very chewy. It also has a red bean paste inside of the glutinous rice. Basically, it was delicious and I should probably put an order to bring home in Japan. 

After placing an order for some of the treats that I would bring back to the dorm, I waited for the rest of the participants to finish their breakfast. As soon as everyone was in the lobby, a lady from the Elite Ten served as our chaperone. All of us gathered near her for any announcement that they may have for us. 

Kinokuni-senpai clears her throat and says, "We will now head to Haneul Ui-seonmul. The director has told me that should you qualify for the main tournament. The cash prize given will go to whoever qualified the school will not take anything. Along with this, should any of you behave inappropriately, you will be suspended and your identity as a student of Tootsuki will be rescinded. Meaning, none of you can step into a professional kitchen for the time that you are suspended. With all that, best regards."