False Labor

Hey Everyone New Year New Story Here we go.

Rebecca's taxi pulled up in front of the Hollars house she grabbed her bags from the trunk and made her way to the door.

When she got inside, she walked upstairs to find John; she found him asleep in his childhood bed. Rebecca stood next to the bed and called his name.

Rebecca: John?

Rebecca: John?

John: Hi.

Rebecca: Hi.

John: Is this a dream?

Rebecca: No.

John looked over and saw his brother standing in the doorway.

John: Why is he wearing my mother's robe?

Ron: Hi, I'm Ron, John's brother, it is so nice to finally meet you.

John: Hey, Ron?

Ron: Yeah.

John: I think we got it from here, bud.

Ron: Sure, ok.

John turned back to his girlfriend.

John: Hi.

Rebecca: Hi, so don't ever hang up on me again, ok?

John: No, I won't.

Rebecca: Ok.

Rebecca sat down on the bed next to John.

John: Wait, how did you get here?

Rebecca: I took a cab.

John: How far is that?

Rebecca: Far.

John: Wow.

Rebecca looked down at the bed and saw some drawings John had been working on she picked them up and noticed they were balloons.

Rebecca: What are these?

John: I was thinking maybe some wallpaper for the baby's room I read somewhere that baby's like contrast.

Rebecca: They're beautiful.

John moved the paper out of the way so Rebecca could lay down.

John: I missed you so much.

Rebecca: I really missed you.

John: How are you feeling?

Rebecca: My butt is really sore.

John just laughed and rubbed his hand over her belly.

John: I cannot believe you took a cab here.

Both John and Rebecca drifted off to sleep.

The next morning John and Rebecca were sound asleep when Rebecca's eyes shot open.

Rebecca: Oh, she said as she waited a minute.

John: What is it?

Rebecca: Oh, she said as she sat up.

John: Was it a kick?

Rebecca: No, it felt like a stab.

John: Is that normal?

Rebecca: I don't know, Ohhhhhh she said.

John: Oh my god, it's from being in the car for so long.

Rebecca: I don't think that's what that is, that's not helping.

John: Is this real?

Rebecca: Well, it feels real.

John: Okay.

John was standing in the hallway, waiting for an update on his girlfriend.

Nurse: John?

John: How is she?

Nurse: She's fine; she just needs to rest; you can take her home tomorrow.

John: Oh, good; thank you, and the baby's okay?

Nurse: Their vitals are good.

John: Their vitals?

John followed the nurse to Rebecca's room when he walked in, he kissed her head; and sat in the chair next to her.

They sat in silence for a while before John spoke.

John: Did you know we were having twins?

Rebecca didn't look at him; she couldn't; she just looked at her belly.

Rebecca: Yeah.

John: You didn't tell me because?

Rebecca: It was the same day we found out about your mom, and honestly with everything you've been going through, I can't even tell if you want to have a baby at all, so I thought if you knew it was two, it would be too much.

John: Wait, everything I'm going through?

Rebecca: You're not happy, John, it's obvious, at work in your life and I don't know maybe with me, and I know that you're just going through something and maybe everything in you're life isn't exactly what you want it to be right now umm and you're scared and I get that having a baby is scary, and you think that everything's going to change, and.....we're not gonna be fun anymore, and you're not gonna drink beer with your friends anymore, and you're gonna....have to be stuck in this job that you hate, and your not gonna, kiss your high school sweetheart ever again and I...

John: No, Becca that's not...

Rebecca: No! I'm saying.

John: That's not it.

Rebecca: I'm saying it's fine, and we're gonna work through all of it, and you don't need to worry, ok?

John: That's not what I'm worried about.

Rebecca: Okay, It's not.

John: No, I don't care about any of that having twins is umm is a, one more person and that's one more person that I'm going to be failing, and I just don't know if I can take that.

Rebecca grabbed his hand and ran her thumb over it, hoping to comfort him.

Rebecca: What? Is that what you think?

John: I don't know, yeah.

Rebecca had tears in her eyes as she looked at him.

Rebecca: I didn't drive 8 hours because you were failing me. I came here because I need you so much. I'm just waiting for you to come back.

John: Okay.

John stood up and kissed her head he hugged her and sat back down.

Rebecca: I need you to get me out of this hospital now for real, I'm not having two of your enormous babies without my doctor, monster. I'm not doing it, it's not funny.

Rebecca leaned back in the bed; finally able to relax a bit; John sat next to her and didn't leave her side.