Chapter 7

"I don't know what you're talking about." He gave me a look that meant he knew I  was lying, and that I totally knew what he was talking about.

"We've had an inkling for a few weeks that it was someone in this town, we just didn't know who. Then we saw you." I wanted him to stop. I wanted to make him to stop and to leave me alone, but I  also wanted to hear more. He looked around us, and I realised more people were starting to file out of the canteen.

"How about we meet later? We can talk more then." There was still a part of me that wanted to forget all about him and my ability, to shrink away, but my fiery attitude that I'd had even before the ability shone through.

"From what I know and see, you purposely make me angry to make me set fire to things, why should I trust you and meet back up with you? You might want me to just blow things up" He  rolled his eyes, but smirked. I groaned, realising that I'd just admitted it to him.

"As flattering as it sounds to meet with you alone, Talia and Roman will be there as well." I froze, they knew too?

"Yes" My eyes snapped to him, I must have asked that out loud.

"Whatever, fine. I'll humour you and meet you. Where?" He looked deep I thought for a second. I continued staring at him, waiting. If he said to meet in a house or place I wasn't familiar with, I would deck him right there, my patience was starting to run thin.

"Meet us at the public park at seven o'clock tonight, it will still be light then so you wont think we're trying to attack and mug you."  He stopped for a second, before his expression turned a bit more gentle, it startled and threw me off guard.

"Is that alright with you?" That stunned me even more, was he really was asking me? I just nodded my head, unable to form the words to his unusual manner.

"Alright then, l'll see you later" and after giving me my first ever appearance of a small smile from him , he disappeared into the now full crowds. The rest of the day was a blur, understandingly. I'd ended up going back to the dinner table to an over-apologising Talia, even Roman chipped in an apology. I didn't really speak to Tamara and Sally much either, and I noted they kept giving me worried glances, but I just shook them off and assured them I was alright. When the bell rang for the last period of the day, I rushed off and barely even said goodbye to the girls before I raced home, anticipating what was to come in a couple of hours time.

"Hi Honey, how was school?" I thought I'd be able to skip by my mum, but she noticed everything, a talent I'd inherited from her.

"It was alright, I didn't find any half dead bodies today" she dropped her cup back into the sink, and a wave of soapy water hit her front. She turned around and scowled at me, ready to give me a lecture on why poorly people weren't funny, but luckily, dad came to the rescue.

"Darling, look at your top! You'd better go and clean that up because you catch a cold if not" Whilst he was ushering her out of the kitchen, he shot me a look that told me to run and I gave him a grateful smile in return, complying to his instructions. By the time I'd gotten changed into some more casual clothes, I had about forty five minutes to wait. The  place we were meeting wasn't more than five minutes away from where I lived, and I knew I'd get there in exactly that. I sat down and sighed when a question came to my head. Did he already know where I lived? He said they had been searching for the specific person who had the talent I did, but did that mean from the first day of school, maybe even before then, they had followed me home? Was I even safe?