Chapter 22

I knew it didn't last long, it couldn't have been for more than a couple of minutes, but it felt like I was enclosed in that kiss for a life time. When we eventually pulled away, it took me an extra minute for everything else to come into focus, and when I did, it felt like everything was crystal clear. I knew my face mirrored Lukas, a dazed but happy look on his face.

"That was exactly what I was expecting" he whispered, more to himself than me.

"It sure was something" his eyes refocused back on me, and he sat back a little bit, clearing his throat.

"If you felt like I did, then I hope it explains a little bit of why I wouldn't want to jeopardise that by bullying your best friend." I sat back, stumped. I honestly didn't know what to do, and most things I had an idea with.

"Why would she lie? To me, her best friend?" Luka just gave me a sympathetic look, and shrugged his shoulders.

"Maybe she's jealous?" I raised an eyebrow at his suggestion, finding it a tad hard to believe.

"And why would she be jealous?"

"Well, you've gone from spending all your time with her and Tamara, and now you're splitting it with us, so maybe she doesn't like that?" I frowned, it sounded plausible, but it just didn't seem like Sally.

"But Sally isn't malicious. Yeah she's grumpy, but she's never one to actually try and sabotage friendships" Luka was quiet, pondering what i'd said, before his face lit up with an idea.

"Well, if she knew that one of them  wasn't a friendship anymore, and that it was something more serious, maybe she would try and include herself more positively?" I looked at him suspiciously, because I had an idea of what he was thinking, but I didn't know if he was serious.

"What are you saying, exactly?"

"I'm saying, maybe if you told her that there is a relationship involved, that she might try and be more friendly" I just stared at him, wondering why he wasn't just saying the words. I stared for so long, and when he didn't say anything, I just rolled my eyes and said it myself.

"Are you asking me to be your girlfriend?" He gave me a cheeky grin, which automatically made me smile.

"I am indeed, but I apologise, let me ask properly." He got down on one knee, grabbing my hands in his. To say I was shocked was an understatement, and I frantically looked around to make sure no one was around to witness this, they would definitely think he was proposing to me.

"Layla. From the minute I set my eyes on you, I knew that you were the one" alright, this was deeper than I thought.

"I know I might have gotten on the wrong side of you to start with, but it was only because I had to see if you were the one who was going to be mine, and the others, future, and thankfully you were the right one. I'm so glad that you are, so would you do me the pleasurable honours, of being my beautiful girlfriend?" I didn't usually do cheesy, I normally laughed at that sort of stuff, but somehow, coming from Lukas mouth with a serious look on his face, I knew he meant it, and I loved it. He was still looking at me, waiting for my answer, but for once in my life, I was speechless, so instead I just nodded my head. His serious expression split into a massive smile, and his lips were back on mine for the second time.

"I guess we should start heading back soon" he said after we pulled back, and I just hummed in agreement, whilst making no effort to move.

"We still have plenty of time left, and I can think of a nice time to spend it" I rolled my eyes at his comment, but didn't move away when his head started leaning towards mine for a third time.