Chapter 27

I had texted Sally about ten times, and rung her a three extra times with no answers at all, and I really was getting worried. I barely made it through the day, and when poor Roman was the fourth person to ask if I was alright, I almost bit his head off.

"I'm sure Sally is fine, Layla. Even I know that if parents don't ring into school, and let them know a good reason for why their child isn't in school, they'll be fined. If the parents didn't ring in or answer the phone, the police would be around at their house and you of all people would've been notified a little bit of what's going on, on the account of your close relationship" Lukas words relaxed me slightly, helping the anxiety that was making it harder to control the fire that kept lighting up underneath my skin.

Finally, when the last bell rang, signalling the end of school, I couldn't get out of there quicker. Rushing to my car, I got my phone out of my bag, again, to call her one last time. I was already anticipating no answer, which in my opinion gave me plenty enough reason to kick down her door to see her, so you could imagine my surprise when her caller ID was already popping up on my phone, showing that she was calling me.

"There had better be a good reason why you haven't been answering me" I was straight to the point, and even though I had been worried about her, as soon as I answered I felt that worry merge with my anger of her not letting me if she was safe.

"I'm fine Layla, I'm sorry. I've been poorly and my phone has been messing up, and you know I still haven't memorised yours or Tamaras phone numbers, or even any of my social media passwords, so I couldn't let you know I was alright." I felt the fire that had begun to form in my fist lower down a little bit at her reasoning, but it was still there, ready to combust again if I became angry.

"Why have you been poorly? Are you alright now?" I heard her cough into the phone, and I pulled it away instinctively, I didn't want any germs, even if they were through a phone.

"Yeah, I'm  fine, I've just got the last bits of it, I just thought I'd let you know I'm okay and that I'll be back to school on Monday. Do you want to come around, after?"

"Monday? It's been too long that I haven't seen you, I'm literally on my way over right now" I heard her chuckle through the phone, and I rolled my eyes, even though she couldn't see me.

"Why did I have a feeling you were?"

"Best friend-kenesis" We laughed again. I was glad she was safe, the fire had completely gone now and the nerves

had calmed down.

"I'll be there in ten, where should I find you?"

"I'll be in the back, being stuck in bed for forty-eight hours straight has forced me to get out and enjoy what little sun we have" I automatically looked at the sky, that had a few clouds out, and was just glad it wasn't raining.

"No worries, I'll meet you there" I hung up the phone, and texted Tamara where we would be when she came, as I waited for her response, Luka rang me. Surprised, I picked up the phone, and slowly greeted him.

"Hey Layla, its Luka, you ran out of school really quickly and I was worried, where were you rushing off to?" I held my tongue, nearly saying something rude to him. The one thing I had been going on about all day was Sally, you'd think that a boy would know that's where I'd be going after stressing a full day about it.