Chapter 10

Giovanni POV

That night, I knocked on Patricia's door. She was shocked that I knew where she lived. She had only a black silk robe.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. I just casually came in. I noticed children toys around the living room.

"I had Chris to trace the message. He may act dumb but he is the smartest guy I know." She rolled her eyes and huffed. "After you informed me that you and your sister are not speaking, I had to speak to you in person."

"Well my sister and I used to be best friends until you showed up in our lives. So last time I heard, she moved to England."

"What's in England?"

"Not me." She said harshly. "Something about going back to school. She was one to never to focus."

"Look, I meant what I said last week to you. I'm sorry I humiliated you the way I did. But....." I pulled out the note I got on the plane.

"Sugar cane is Veronicas's nickname."

 "Where did you get this note?"

"We were flying from Spain to Rome. The flight attendant gave me the free bottle of champagne with this note."

"Does Isabel know?"

"No." I said walking over to get a drink from the bar. "And I like to keep it that way. Patricia this isn't a coincidence. I need to protect my family. My wife and my child above all. I saw Veronica's face...... in our doctor's office footage. There, the doctor is a dear friend to Isabel. Ironically, even to me. He found a note with no prints or DNA." I took out the other note Diego gave me with the magazine letters. I showed it to Patricia.

"The child will be mine?" She looked confused and suddenly came to a realization. "It has to be her."

"How do you-"

"Mommy. I had a bad dream." I saw a little child. He was a small boy with brown hair and green eyes. He was so innocent and I smiled.

"I will be right there. Mommy is talking." He went towards where we were in the living room and started to play with his toys. Patricia chuckled looking exhausted. "I'm sorry Giovanni. My son thinks he is very smooth to get away from bedtime."

"Oh is that so?" I laughed and noticed the child. "What is his name?"

"Zion. His father is an American. After my father died, I moved to the states. I met Harold in Florida. He is in the Army. We met and were together for 1 year. We quickly got married and I gave birth to Zion. Once Harold was stationed here in Italy, I didn't want to break our family. That was 3 years ago. So we moved here."

"I was going to say that is not my child." I awkwardly laughed. "Why would you tell me you were single?"

"I wanted to see if you were the same man from 5 years ago. I guess people can change. You seem really happy with Isabel." I looked at Zion playing.

"So he is not mine?"

"Not everything is about you Giovanni. He is 3. You left me 5 years ago. How can he be your child?" Patricia slapped some mental sense into me. I was afraid at the moment I was going to be like my father. "You're not him."

"Huh?" I was snapped out of daze looking at her son.

"We all fear we will be our parents, but in the end we are trying to be the best parent we can be for our kids. And so will you." Soon a man came from the room, I could immediately tell this was her husband.

"Bedtime buddy." Harold said.

"Paw patrol daddy." Zion said making me smile. "He eventually started to play with his child and I couldn't wait for those moments.