Chapter 11

Giovanni POV

Victor, Leo, and Chris drove me to the airport. I wanted to go back and see how Isabel was doing. I tried texting her, but she never responded back. I was getting worried, but I knew that Mama Zaleta was at home taking care of her.

"So have you figured out who was going to be the godfather yet?" Victor asked. I just put on my sun glasses as we made it to my private jet.

"Nope." I said. "I am still thinking."

"Well if you want a protective godfather for your kid, then it should be me." Victor assured me as he parked the car and gave the keys to the valet.

"Why does it have to be you? They want a good looking uncle to look up to." Leo stated out of no where.

"You can't be serious." Chris said. I groaned knowing this was exactly going to happen. They were going to fight and bicker about who is going to be the godfather. "I'm fun. Right Giovanni? The kids will love me more."

"I'm never going to hear the end of the three of you arguing. Am I?" I scoffed and sat down in my favorite chair on my jet.

"Well," Leo started to speak again as he grabbed a beer and sit down. "We do need to, when you married Isabel you said we were going to start a tradition of being godfathers to our children."

"Yeah I remember that day." I chuckled and thought about that day that I was talking to my boys about asking Isabel to marry me and my future children.

"So when the hell are going to let us know?" Chris asked.

"I don't know.....soon. I just want.... I want Isabel and I to agree who should be The Godfather." I said.

"And who did she pick?" Victor asked as he poured himself a drink then played with his phone.

"I don't know. Honestly. She pretty told me that it was my choice." I said.

"Well..." Leo started. "We are going to talk about this and handle it when we get there." I knew that this.....this conversation was going to never end. This plane ride was going to take forever. I connected my phone to the wifi and tried texting Isabel again.

I tried calling you Bella. I am coming home. I want to talk to you.

Love, Gio

"So, how did Lazlo survive?" Victor asked. "I mean there is no way that somebody could survive that."

"Not if there was a bomb shelter. Like in the American show Designated Survivor." Leo said out of no where. Chris looked up the blue prints to Diego's club in Madrid. I made the requested to my pilot to land in Madrid. When we did, I told my boys to call if they had any information about any renovations made to the club.

"If Leo's theory is true about the bomb shelter, then we may be closer to find Veronica." I said before letting them go and soon, I was off to Malaga airport. I couldn't wait to get home.

Isabel POV

I received a text from Gio. I thought I was dreaming. What does he want to talk about? I just wanted the conversation to be over with. I read the text message like a broken record. I was in my room folding some baby clothes. 

"It would be nice to fix the nursery already." I said randomly. "But Gio was already doing the nursery in Rome. Maybe I should work on my father's room. Maybe redecorate it for the baby." Mama Zaleta kept smirking and nonchalantly shrugged.

"Maybe you should rest and wait until Giovanni gets home." She said and suddenly I heard the front door open. The footsteps were getting closer to the bedroom and I knew it was my Gio. He stopped at the doorway of our bedroom. Mama Zaleta left the room and soon we were alone to talk. 

"Hi Bella." He said coming closer to kiss my cheek. "I just....wanted to talk to you."

"About what Gio?"

"Moving to Rome."

"I....I don't know Gio...."

"The baby will love it."

"I know, but-"

"But......"

"I am not sure if you realized you are not sounding like yourself when you say that the baby will take over the empire."

"Look if it's about the topic of letting the kids make their own choices-"

"It is."

"I told you Bella that they will be whoever they want but this family needs an heir. My heir."

"Gio just....look what happened to you when I met you. Look how much your life has changed. You were willing to not run this empire just to settle down and have a normal life." 

"But then looked what happened to my father. My mother. Nobody else was going to run this but me."

"But that was your choice."

"A choice that apparently showed that my father understood more than I did." I felt anger boil up inside of me, and I knew Giovanni was feeling the anger. 

I felt the disappointment. 

The negative energy in the room was growing. I knew that God was testing us again. Gio was taking off his coat and threw it on the bed and went to the living room to watch t.v. I struggled to get up and I walked to the living room. He immediately turned on a soccer game, but I grabbed the control and turned it off.

"Here you are. Criticizing about making choices and I cant even make the choice to watch t.v. in my own home!"

"It is my house! My land! My home!"

"Oh really?! Maybe I should just go back to Rome then! And we are moving there whether you like it or not! The baby will grow up to learn. That baby will grow up the way I did. He will learn-"

"He? How do you know it's a he?"

"It has to be a He. If it's a girl then she cannot run. It is the law in our family."

"That is very sexist."

"I mean....Bella come on.....do you think if we had a daughter that I would let her lead?"

"But if we had a son you will let him run everything."

"Yes. It is part of the tradition."

"You can't be serious!" I said holding onto my baby bump. "This child is going to choose for him or herself! They are not going to run the mafia!"

"An heir is supposed to protect my empire! Our empire! This kingdom was built on my ancestors' blood, sweat, and tears! When this baby is old enough, I will train the child to be a feared leader!" Gio exclaimed as he stood up from the couch and looked down at me. I walked up to my husband.

"You sound like your father."

"What did you say?" He asked in shocked. "I am not like my father."

"Yes you are! You sound like him! The same he acted towards you, is the same way you are acting towards our unborn. You act like you don't care!"

"I don't care?!"

Giovanni POV

I had it. The arguments. The yelling. The screaming. Then my wife tells me that I don't care? I grabbed her arm and dragged her to her father's room and unlocked it. She knew I changed the locks. She knew I had a key, and she knew I was working on something in the room.

"You say that I didn't care?" I turned on the lights and she saw the most amazing nursery room. It was more beautiful  than the one in Rome. It was finished. everything was clean and fresh. I made sure that everything in the room was white and yellow. Peaceful and bright colors. Isabel looked around and turned to me.

"I thought you were just working on your new office here." She said.

"I worked on this room nonstop Bella. Whether it is a boy or a girl, I did this with love. I did this for our family. I have always cared." She just teared up and came to hug me. "I just want to do what is best for us. I want to make sure that you and the baby are healthy, happy, and safe. Which is why I want to move to Rome. For us."